Corvette ZR1 Unveiled

So what happens when you make a 6.2 liter motor that makes 100hp per liter? You get a 620hp beast.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/12/medium_2122934825_16e6dcbf68_o.jpg

After years of speculation, spy photos, and rumors, General Motors has finally revealed its 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, which will be on display at the Detroit auto show in January. As expected, the ZR1 is the most powerful and most expensive Corvette model ever.

An all-new LS9 motor produces 620 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 595 pound-feet of torque at 4000 rpm. Delivering 100 horsepower per liter, the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 is mated to a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox with a new high-capacity clutch designed for the increased power. The twin-disc 260mm design provides plenty of clamping power, while maintaining a relatively easy clutch action.

GM has not disclosed specific performance numbers, but the company admits a top speed of 200 mph is very likely. In terms of acceleration, the ZR1 will most definitely beat its Z06 counterpart, thanks to a 115-horsepower output advantage. Since the Z06 rockets to 60 mph in just 3.6 seconds, it’s a safe bet the ZR1 will be much closer to the 3.0 mark. Final numbers will be announced in March 2008.

“It all boils down to the power-to-weight ratio and the ZR1’s is exceptional,” said Chevy’s Ed Peper. “Better than the Porsche 911 GT2, the Ferrari 599 and even the Lamborghini LP640. In fact, the ZR1 is expected to be the first production Corvette to achieve a top speed of at least 200 mph.”

GM used the Z06 chassis as a starting point, but further tuned the front and rear independent suspension to work with the ZR1’s ultra-wide tires for increased grip. According to GM, the car achieves 1g cornering grip.

Exotic looks, exotic materials

The use of carbon fiber is pretty extensive throughout the ZR1. The wider fenders are made of the material, as are the hood, roof panel, roof bow, front fascia splitter and rocker moldings.

The roof and front fascia splitter have a raw carbon fiber appearance with a protective clear coat. The hood is painted like the rest of the car, but the underside is exposed carbon-fiber-weave for increased novelty.

Another standout feature of the hood is a clear polycarbonate “window” that provides a view of the top of the engine’s intercooler, with embossed “LS9 Supercharged” lettering.

Brakes, tires, and wheels

The ZR1 has the largest wheels ever of any production Corvette — not just in diameter, but in width also. The rims measure 20 inches in rear diameter and 19 inches up front. Rear width is a whopping 12 inches, while the front wheels are nearly as massive at 10 inches of width.

In terms of wheel finish, a bright silver paint coat is standard and a chrome version is optional.

The matching Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires measure P285/30ZR19 in front and P335/25ZR20 in the rear. While Michelin’s PS2 tires are offered on many vehicles, these were engineered specifically for the ZR1, GM says.

The car’s braking system features carbon-ceramic rotors measuring 15.5 inches up front and 15 inches at the rear. GM says the rotors are so durable they should not requiring replacement for the life of the vehicle.

Squeezing the dics are six-piston front calipers and four-piston rear calipers, painted in ZR1-exclusive blue.

Adjustable suspension

The ZR1 comes with GM’s Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC) suspension system. The MSRC shocks are automatically adjusted based on driving conditions and vehicle dynamics (cornering, braking, etc) for optimal handling. The system is adjusted every milisecond to provide sharp handling during spirited driving, and a smooth ride while cruising.

While the ZR1 is overall a more aggressive sports car than the Z06, it is actually less harsh over bumps, thanks to the MSRC technology. “The damping control of MSRC allowed for front and rear springs that have a slightly lower rate than the Z06, which enhances the car’s ride quality,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer.

Optional premium interior features

There is very little optional equipment on the ZR1. Aside from the aforementioned chrome wheels, the only other optional equipment is a premium interior package. The kit includes power-adjustable leather-trimmed sport seats, leather-wrapped interior elements (including the dashboard), a navigation system, and Bluetooth connectivity. The interior leather treatments are available in four colors.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/12/medium_2122932627_168840512f_o.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/12/medium_2122932419_5599672c87_o.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/12/medium_2122966045_e5abbf7326_o.jpg

Mad jDM CF Lip on the front :crackup

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/december2007/chevrolet-corvette-zr1-34.jpg

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-corvette-zr1.html

i love it, i def. think it’s worth the 100K, so badass :cool

I like the performance, but prefer the more understated styling of the Z06

If this had a cleaner profile, less shit jotting out of it, delete that rear lip and for gods sake that hood should have been yolked out of the womb with a coat hanger long before it got that far along. It looks like something that some idiot would have put on a civic in the late 90s. The wheels are OK, but I still like old C6 wheels better, not to mention current Z06 wheels. In terms of a car that flows I think this is a departure from the direction GM headed with the C6 and the Z06, which was moving in the right direction, IMO.

car is nasty. Period…Only thing is, I dont understand the point of that thing on the hood…what the hell is that? The lid of the airbox for the supercharger or something??

The hood I believe is supposed to be see-thru with the Ferrari-esque flavor, where you can see the supercharger.

I agree in the fact that they are taking a different styling direction. I remember the corvette fan club had a huge fuss over the C6 no longer having flip up lights, like all the previous generations.

Now the hood, the ducts, the lip, the headlights… it’s definitely not classic corvette.

But it’s looking more and more like a real supercar, and not just a chevy.

Overall lose the hood, the wheels, and the price tag and I’m down :lol

the hood, lip, wheels are awesome :stfu

Vlad and Boostin, if you read the article it states…“The clear area on the hood is to display the ‘engine intercooler’ with LS9 Supercharged lettering on it”

and yeah Vlad :stfu the hood, lip, and wheels are awesome :nono

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/december2007/chevrolet-corvette-zr1-18.jpg

http://www.thelastminuteblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/transformers.gif

:thinkingof

I love it but i wouldnt 100k fo it

WHAT?!?!?

200+mph 600+hp is a bargain at 100K :idiots

if you are trying to make it look bad, it’s not working. You are only making it looking cooler to me.

car is awesome, end of story. people always bitch about american cars being so plain, and underpowered. well here ya go…

It won me over :bowdown

American cars being so plain and under powered? Huh??

I guess the whole SRT-8 Class doesnt exist, nor does the SRT-10 truck, Viper, Ford GT, Z06, Cobra, CTS-V, STS-V, GTO,SSR,Lightening, Hummer, Camaro etc…

People don’t give GM credit for the engineering that went into the C6 Z06… It’s got a hell of an engine, dry sump, 7.0 liters, making power all the way past 6k to the tune of 500 hp. AND they kept the weight down to 3100 lbs with the use of magnesium, titanium, CF, etc. This is the best approach to getting good power to weight. Basic, but a lot of automakers don’t address the weight these days, they just add more power.

True, the previous ZR1 had a 4 cam V8 co-developed with Lotus, but the new version is plain silly… The engine, the drivetrain, the specifications on the new ZR1… GM did not rest on their laurels with the already excellent C6 Z06 Vette and came out swinging- hard. They outdid themselves.

All I have to say is :bowdown

Sounds like you take quite offense to what’s said about American cars.

Well, since American cars have such shitty resale values, I’ll just wait two years and pick it up for $45k.

*Note the sarcasm.

Basically they are underpowered and gas guzzling. Horrible combo in this day and age.

mmm hmmm ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

thats why my buddys cammed C6 Z06 and cammed C6 both get 27-29 mpg on the highway :nono…not bad for 550rwhp cars.

Let’s stay away from generalizations and keep on topic.

Corvettes have been known to get some great milage thanks to their gearing, and loads of tq.

I’m still unimpressed with the hood, however personally.

Generalizations are what people get pissed off, so they’re kinda funny.

Domestics GENERALLY get shitty mpg and are worthless. The Corvette and diesel trucks are the only vehicles I’d ever think about purchasing. Everything else is kinda on the shit side in my humble opinion. I’d prolly get one of those new Town and Country’s though. I could have a meeting on the road. Pretty cool in my opinion.

I think this particular Vette is amazing. The hood isn’t the greatest thing, but the rest of the vehicle looks phenominal. As long as the wheels aren’t the polished/chrome finish, I’d be happy. Still, wait two years, pick it up for $50k. ;D