300zx calipers on a Spec V (no 56k)

another post from myspecv.com that i did.

well after much research and conversing with Chris (MaximaSE98), i found out that 1990 300zx 26mm N/A calipers will bolt up perfectly to a spec v or any sentra for that matter. so B15’s, 240sx’s and 300zx’s all have the same caliper mounting holes. probably some other nissan cars/trucks as well.

Parts used:
1990 300zx 26mm N/A calipers. (Re-manufactured from AutoZone, came loaded. ditched the pads tho) $188
300zx to 240sx conversion brakes lines $35
Axxis metal matrix pads. to cut down on brake dust $38

overall cost about $260

300zx’s use an 11 inch rotor as do the spec v. the 300zx rotor is 26mm wide will the spec v rotor is 22mm. so 4mm difference isn’t enough to matter. the only catch is that the calipers need to be the 1990 300zx N/A calipers which had 30mm of clearance between pistons where all the other 300zx calipers had 35mm between the pistons. so the better option is definitely the 26mm calipers. these also allow for a more likely fit with rims since they are a little skinner so the need for a crazy offset isn’t really needed.

here are test fit pictures with 30mm calipers which have too big of a gap for the rotors

anyway, the way our hub is designed the caliper kits the rotor when it is bolted up. not by a lot. it will bolt on but the rotor cannot spin freely. so in order for the rotor to spin freely about 1/4" has to be taken off from the diameter of the rotor so the calipers clears. so you can argue 1/4" less makes a difference but i can assure you it doesn’t and i will show you why in a picture. the way the stock spec v caliper hits the rotor it leaves about 3/8" between the center of the rotor and the actual breaking surface. but the 300zx calipers contact 2/3 of that 3/8" so you aren’t really losing any contact surface. so i brought my rotors into the shop at school and took about 1/4" off the diameter on the lathe. took about an hour and a half to do since you have to go slow and cant use coolant with cast iron.

so i clear coated the edge of the rotor that i shaved so it wouldn’t rust since the rest of the caliper is zinc coated. then i put my rotors back on my car with the stock calipers until i was done painting my rims since steelies were no where close to clearing the calipers.

comparison picture between stock and 300zx calipers. a lot bigger obviously

and some test fit pictures with the 30mm calipers before i realized i needed the 26mm calipers

went and bought 26mm calipers and returned the 30mm calipers and test fit the calipers with my rims. the rims wouldn’t clear the calipers at first:angry:. so i tested it out with a couple washers to the point where the rim would clear the calipers. it ended up being about 4mm so i ordered 5mm spacers for the front.

pictures with the rims when i was testing out the spacers

close fit lol

so next i sanded the shit out of the calipers and de-greased them to get the oily film off of them so the paint would stick no problem. i painted them with high temp red paint. didn’t end up clear coating them because the finish was too perfect from the red.

with the pads in

new stainless brake lines

all bolted up

notice the very little distance between the pistons and caliper. alot closer than with the 30mm caliper.

put the spacers on and tested the fir before i went and mounted my tires on the rims just to double check. good to go!

and with the tires mounted on the rims for the final time they are finally bolted on the car so i dont have to drive around on steelies anymore lol didnt really take alot of pics since it was 9pm. ill take some new ones with the whole car this weekend

so theres my one of a kind brake caliper upgrade that no one else has on a spec v. enjoy

and a pic of my car with the custom abs splitter i made over the winter

sorry for the long read

:tup: nice write-up again

yeah :tup: great upgrade, are you going to do anything with your master cylinder?

your car is so clean too :tup:

i looked into it. a 300zx master cylinder is only 1/8" bigger and chris did them on his maxima which has the same size master cylinder as the spec so i should be good. i gotta bleed them again this weekend and ill see how they are

Q45’s and J30’s also use the same mounting holes FYI.

cool, yeah its probly just 240’s that really benefit from it because of the stock piston size

Nice, but why not just find a Brembo setup from a Spec-V and swap that on? That way when you need to buy rotors, you don’t need to machine them each time :slight_smile:

his overall cost was 260 according the OP. I don’t think you can find brembo setups that cheap.

well i drive my spec less than 5000 miles a year so im not too worried about rotors and i can do it for free anyway. and besides rotors alone for brembo calipers are 200 then the calipers usually go for around > 300 then i need pads still so it wouldve been over 500 for the brembos. wnd why do something that other people alrealy have. thats no fun lol

i think he said he doesnt have to shave his rotors down with the 26mm caliper. or did i read it wrong? he shaved it down to get the 30mm tt rotors to fit

“b-r-a-k-e, that’s in your car dummy”

looks good and were those your rims in the shop at work?

we toyed with the idea but people want rediculous $$ for Brembo calipers…more so that the cost of reman 300zx calipers, pads and conversion line still come out to be a lot cheaper.

yes J30 and q45 brakes have the same mounting holes but you still run into shaving the rotor down. its been done a lot with maxima…and Specs are the same setup as 3rd 4th and 5th gen maximas…beside lug pattern.

I am working on relocation brackets for 13" rotors and 300zx calipers…I know there a some out there for 350 track edition brakes with 12.75" rotors…but hey we like to be different

240s i think also have smaller overall rotor diameter if i remember too but the whole Z setup bolts up with no mod beside lines and hubs…i also believe 240s have a smaller master than maximas and specs

the way the spec v hub is designed both the 26 and 30mm calipers hit the rotor. the inside of them is just a smaller gap for the 26mm. you would have to shave the rotors down regardless on a spec v since they need to be <10.8" and they don’t make that size rotor that i know of so shaving it would be easier. so i just used the rotors that i had from my spec v originally instead of buying new ones

I bet you could just make some relocating brackets and run something different…

thats the plan…13" or 12.6" rotors…unfortuneately the source of 4 lug rotors suck so 5 lug rotors may ahve to be redrilled…i am also looking into maxima front hubs

yeah i can make the brackets at school for just the cost of material. finding rotors is the problem for now tho. but im shit broke after the turbo so that wont be til next winter

Mike i have an email into SSBC on replacement rotors for their 13" kit…

awesome lets hope that works out

i have a feeling they are going to be as much or more than cobra rotors…but wont need to be drilled