3D Printing for Dumbasses

Yes there’s already a 3D printing thread, but it sucks fat uninformative donkey balls. Searched google for other forums but after an excruciating 4 minutes of research I decided to just ask NYSpeed for help because it’s easier.

Anyways, I’d like to get a 3D printer, somewhere in the 500-1000$ Range. I’ve noticed over the last year I’ve bought hundreds of small plastic parts between cars and house work that I could just make them, follow up on some patents I started in college and forgot about, and make some of my own cool shit now that I have the time since I’m not slamming books and vag in the Capen Library anymore.

1. What home model do you have?

2. What materials does it use? Can it use metal (I would guess these printers are a lot more expensive)?

3. What kind of software do you use?? My printer would be used on my Mac (i5, 8GB Ram). I was pretty good at Pro-E, that’s all they taught me at UB (at the time). But since then I haven’t touched 3D modeling programs at all.

4. Does the software protect inventions? I read that some do and some don’t.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don’t even know where I would buy something like this in person to go and ask questions.

Also interested in this wanted to pick one up

I just bought a Silhouette Curio to cut and print Vinyl. I am looking at either getting a laser cutter next or a 3d printer. I will await some info in here.

The Glowforge is the route I am looking for Laser. Too many damn options in the 3D printer space.

I have considered getting one some day, I’m interested as well in what’s current.

I have a 3d printer, its low end (M3d), but simple to use. it was only like 300 bucks ive used it to make some car parts, shock adjuster knob type parts and a shifter bushing.
PLA and flexible “tough ink” ive had good success. ABS is a struggle without a heated surface. the software to print comes with the printer, its fairly easy, its not for designing, just printing and scaling the object. for designing I fumbled onto a web based design software that’s free by autodesk called tinkercad (tinkercad.com). I think the next one I buy i’ll be looking at will have a much larger printing surface, heated bed, faster print times and maybe hold multiple spools.

The Makerfront i3pro would be a good $500 one to get you started. I know my brother has used filament with metal and wood that can be sanded down with his.

In my experience Pro/E and SolidWorks would be the best software to use. You can transfer the files to the printer with an SD card. Tinkercad is also really good for simple stuff.

You can print parts with the i3 that you can use to grow and develop the platform.

i have a couple 3d printers. my kids are always printing toys :smiley:

I use software cura for alot of stuff

Also, if you want to start printing things right away to learn, good site to get free designs

i have all 3 of these printers

http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403

[TR=“class: b2b-product-info”]
The Maker Ultimate is one bad ass printer as long as your making items 8"x8" or smaller

[/TR]

If you are serious about metal I suggest going to BMW on Main Street, they have a metal sintering printer. I can’t remember it is either electron beam or laser, and then their Ohio facility has the other.

They also have quite a few plastic, altem, other poly printers, and other additive manufacturing solutions. They are usually eager to give tours if you are in the industry:

Metal isn’t really a cheap thing yet

[MENTION=808]BIG E[/MENTION]

Thanks for the helpful info guys, I’ll start checking out some of the printers mentioned.