4-stroke dirt bikes

get a 250 2 stroke (that’s what I’ve got), plenty power, don’t have to rev the shit out of it, but when you do, hold on, it will really go. Throw on a flywheel weight and they make great trail bikes. If you’re into racing, all bikes 250cc and under are in the same class now, so you’re racing against 250F’s which will be down 10 hp on you. Sure the 250 2 stroke requires more maintenance than a four stroke, but less than a 125 2 stroke, and it’s way cheaper than maintenance on a 4 stroke. Want something easier to ride, get the 4 stroke. Whatever you do, it’s a good idea to avoid older 250F’s, many are ratted out now to the point where you’ll be spending big money rebuilding them, and by then you might as well have bought a newer one that doesn’t need rebuilding.

If you are a beginner you certainly don’t want a 250cc 2-stroke. Way too much power, very easy to get yourself into trouble, especially if you decide to do any jumps or anything.

Watch this kids first race on his KX250. Leaning back on the bike with the throttle open is a recipe for disaster. It’s funny as hell especially the ending. Don’t let this be you!

I’m still laughing my ass off!

You obviously don’t know what your talking about because your always shifting on a 125.

yep, your fucking right genius.
fuck might as well tell the kid to get a TT-R 125

your shifting at different points on a 125, or I just could never get the hang of the 4 strokes. seems on a 2 stroke you can hit a jump be in the right gear and have power into the nest in a rythem section. I tryed that on a 4 stroke hit the rev limiter right at the top of the jump and nearly at shit

i ride a RM250 2S and i love it … i started with a YZ250 2S that was my first bike when i was 14 and i loved it … when i had a 4S i felt like i went threw so much more gas then now that i have a 2S once more

If you can find a TT225 let me know… I’d like another one.

Great trail bike.

No, you are wrong smart guy. You probably grew up riding a 2 stroke and didn’t know how to ride a 4 stroke properly. Which is probably why your bikes were eating valves, from bouncing the bike off the rev limiter.

I will admit it took me about 15 minutes to get accustomed to my 4 stroke, 4 strokes are definitely more maintenance, but, they are SO much better for the race track. period.

yep your right, 100%
2 Strokes are the new rotary.
:picard:

Lock this thread, might as well talk to a wall

your an idiot, don’t get mad because you can’t prove your point.

point has already been proven. you didn’t get it others have
/

Are you high?

They have more costly maintenance… but the time between maintenance is much much longer. Like infinity.

You can beat the crap oout of a stroker forever and never have to pull the head. Good luck with that 2 stroke on the trail.

No, he is right, The modern 4 strokes do require more up-keep for sure. The new 250f and 450f bikes rev up to 13,000 rpm. I’ve owned over 5 250f bikes and I’ve bought the majority of them blown up needing valves and the head to be machined. Most of it has to do with people riding them like 2 strokes and not knowing what gear to ride the bike in. I see it all the time.

now, if you bought a blown up 2 stroke it would cost…

And to answer your question-I’d recommend a late 90s or early 2000 XR250- The things are bullet proof and will put out enough power for a first time rider to learn.

Yea but the 2 stroke bikes are incredibly obsolete. You can pick up a running 2 stroke for the price of a blown up 4 stroke. The new 4 strokes just blow the 2 strokes away though. Why do you think Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Honda no longer produce 2 strokes bikes? Its because no1 was buying them.

as stated before, 4 strokes are more power than the 2 strokes.

Which is why the AMA has changed regulations.

EDIT- When it comes down to that though what does it really matter. I highly doubt you could ride a 125/250f to its potential anyways. What district did you race in? Did you ever actually race?

I raced 250 open and have been racing supermoto

Exactly…a friend of mine who used to race a lot and was sponsored by a local shop got 2 bikes to use at his disposal every year. At the end of the year he had to give them back, but keep any of the mods he did to them. His 125 2-stroke, would always get motor work, a pipe, silencer, reeds,better piston/rings, porting, etc…When he finally made the switch to a 250 4-stroke I asked him what mods he did to it when he raced it…his reply “decals”.