4-stroke dirt bikes

What are the pros and cons of 4 stroke dirt bikes vs 2 strokes? Considering getting a dirt bike possibly soon and not sure what direction i should be looking towards. Would be used for just trail type riding. Also any recommendations for one? Looking for something late 90s.

I’ll responed to this tomorrow

not a dirt bike kinda guy. i preffer pavement. But if i could get my hands on one this would be it:
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1030_m1d.php

But in general 4 stroke DB’s have more torque than 2 strokers. For some heavy duty trail riding you’r in my oppinion better off with a 4 stroke. 2 strokers seem to require a ton of clutch play for tough trail riding.

okay heres the simple version…

i use to love two strokes then about 4 years ago finally switched over because i use to race district 4 and thumpers are where its at… for trail riding 4 stroke is the way to go… way easier to ride/ take care of… and no mixing gas with is always a plus

save yourself and get a thumper

YZ250F /thread

WRONG
all fail
the ONLY reason 4 strokes came the new thing was because a 125 2 stroke was supposed to equal a 250 4S (4 stroke ).
THEY ARE NOT /
now with that being said
2 strokes are MUCH cheaper to toy with
you can rebuild everything even the crank
sure pistion and rings now and then whats 100-200 bucks a season?

now blow up a 4 stroke
head $1000
pistion & rings $300
timing chain, cams, ect…
and you will had the fact you have a retared rev limiter so you can be like the rocket crew and make it sound sweet. your always shifting with a damn 4 stroke if your trying to go fast.

Also, humm I want an exhaust for my bike.
2 stroke 200 ish
4 stroke - better start makeing $1000 bills

I had a 1989 CR500 and raced at area 51.
I sucked, the bike was old and heavy
people where pointing and laughing
Intill the gate droped and no one could figure out why they where eating my roost

and you envormentalist fucks
artic cat makes 2 strokes that run cleaner than the 4 strokes its only a matter of time before its adapted to new wheels

cliffs : 2 strokes FTMFW

4 stroke all day.

Its pretty clear from your post you’re not looking to race it anyway. You can’t beat a 4 stroke on the trails… you just can’t. No offense, but you don’t sound like you’ve been riding at all… so again… a 4 stroke would be better for you. The power is much more linear and the powerband won’t be throwing you off the bike.

x2

WRONG.
You fail.

I LOVE 2-strokes, but I will give credit where credit is due.

On any given track, or any given trail a YZ250F will be the better bike than a YZ125 period.

You throw around maintanance costs. Yes the 4-stroke is more expensive to rebuild, BUT it doesn’t need to be rebuilt nearly as much as a 2-stroke does. You talk about how expensive an exhaust is, so leave it stock, duh. You think a 2-stroke needs a piston/rings once a season? Hrmm…well you obviously don’t ride a lot, or ride the bike on the pipe a lot. Maybe your CR500 you could get away with that but not a 125 that gets ridden a lot, no way. I could go about 2 months, maybe, then it at least needed rings.

Then lets talk about technique to ride. What do you think is the easier bike to ride? Hands down the 4-stroke. The only way to get a 125 to move is to rev the shit out of it and ride the clutch constantly, unless you weigh 50lbs. Go lug a 125 around for about 5 minutes with a beginner on board. It will foul the plug and stall. NGK B9EV’s can get expensive.

Your CR500 has a ton of power for sure, but a bike like that can be a handful to ride, and will literally beat the shit out of you in 3 laps. One bad blip of the throttle on the face of a jump and it’s all over.

Let’s talk about gas costs. Pull up to the pump and gas up your 4-stroke. 2-strokes need the pre-mix which isn’t that big of a deal, but it does add up after a while.

Like I said before, I LOVE 2-strokes and wish the AMA would have picked a better displacement for the 4-strokes, but I will concede that a 4-stroke is a better bike. It should have been something like this:

125cc 2-stroke/200cc 4-stroke
250cc 2-stroke/350cc 4-stroke

With displacements something like that all the manufacturers would still be making them.

I would even get into the math because most of the people on here are retared.
you dont need B9EVs
a BR9es will do FINE
The ONLY way I’ll give 4 stroke credit would be a trail bike

Other than that, 2 stroke.
I weigh 144lbs and could handle my rm125 fine.
if you weigh 400 lbs maybe you should look into something else besides a bike fatty :toungeout:

I raced a 450 ktm, YZF and was going to race a crf intill it got hungry for a valve for no reason.
and its fun watching KXFs spin there cam gear 180 degrees
anyway I felt I was ALWAYS shifting to find power and get off that FUCKING rev limiter, that thing pisses me off so much

And so whats a rebuild every 2 months?

Really, he/we need to figure out what he is doing with the bike

He wants a trail bike.

Get your streetbike on the road before you purchase another toy?

It’s not the middle of July or anything.

:buickgn:

“And so whats a rebuild every 2 months?”

When you want to ride and not wrench its called a Pain in the ass skippy.

just my two cents.

+1 that a two stroke requires more maintenance that a 4 stroke.

missed the trail bike
get a 4 stroke

still hate them always will

a 2 stroke rebuild can be done in less than a hour

my .02 cents get what ever you want
I will LOL when you eat a valve, or cant start it

braap brap :tup:

4stroke for trails… more torquey powerband, plus better in all around weather conditions… plus if your on trails that you shouldnt be 4stroke is a lot quieter. i had a 125ttr and i was like 150lbs and 6’0 when i owned it and it still moved me around pretty good

Kuntryquest, What is your opinion on 4-strokes in snowmobiles? I think I want to replace my Indy XLT with something a little better on fuel and needs less rebuilding. I’m thinking along the lines of a Yamaha Phazer.

as much as I love the 2 stroke sleds
the Phazer is pretty damn sweet
choko had his on the bottle LOL

You do realize that a Phazer has 2 YZ250F motors which you just bashed? the Yamaha 4 stroke bikes are by far the most reliable 250f out there. I know that because I’ve owned ALL of them besides KTM.

yes I do realize that,
do you realize that riding a sled VS riding a bike are 2 totally different riding styles??
there is no shifting on the phazer VS shifting 27365983475 times to stay off the rev limiter on the on the 4 stroke