What dirt bike to buy?

Im most likely buying a dirt bike in the next two weeks. I don’t know much about them so im just looking for some adivce. I am buying new and i want a 250. I am looking to spend under 6500. Just wondering if anyone on here would reccomend a particular bike. Or is there any that i should stay away from. I dont know weather i should go 2 stroke or 4. I won’t be racing with this just riding trail. Im am going to do some more research befor i buy. I just thought i would start here.

1st bike?? start with something smaller, 4 stroke might a better choice if this is your first bike as well.

I’m not even a bike person and can tell you Honda CRF250R.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/images/db_4stroke_shootout9.jpg

But really any 250 4 strokers seems the way to go these days…

http://www.thumperfaq.com/db_4stroke_shootout.htm

:word: Honda CRF lineup is sweet :tup:

If your doing trail then get a 4 smoker so you dont gota mix gas…2 strokes are jumpers anyways.

dont buy new not really worth it in my oponion, especialy if your not gonna race it

KTM.

thanks to everyones replies

im a fan of the RM line… i got a 96 125 thats done up with all the goodies… all depends on your riding if you dont race then you dont really need something big…

Honda CR models are nice, but don’t go with a 250cc. In my opinion, your best bet is to buy either a KX125 or even better, a KTM 125…(mmmmmm…) I honestly recommend the KTM, I rode them for 5+ years and loved every single minute of it.

KTM, should get a supermoto… then you can ride street or swap dirt tires on it.
06 KTM SMR 450 would be good. dont mod it intill you can control it.
i have a CR500 2 stroke now…its a bit much for me i only weigh 135

i would make a poll

I’d like to say that I have the most dirtbike knowledge and experiance on this site… so…

if you have 6,500 to spend on any dirtbike

The top 4 manufactures (honda,suzuki,kawi,yami) make the best bikes and they are now minimal differences in both their 250cc and 450cc dirtbikes
With the exception suzuki is going Fuel injection on their 450’s
If you are looking for a motocross bike… go with a 250F. The 450’s would be a bit much for you and I doubt you will use all the power.
A full out motocross bike isn’t the best for trails but it can be used for trail riding with no problems.

Check out a honda crf 250x. it’s the motocross bike with a few changes to make it trail friendly

Stay away from 2-strokes. they sound cool, thats about it. Everything is going 4 stroke for a reason. they are better. and the wieght difference is minimal…you won’t notice it unless you are a supurb rider.

My 2 cents’

:bsflag:

With the exception suzuki is going Fuel injection on their 450’s

true

if he wanted a trail bike, i dont see where he could go wrong with some type of DRZ SE/E/SM ect…

i don’t want to come out as a dick, but more of a fellow rider… i just have some points to make.
2 stroke vs 4 stroke
$100 rebuild $1000+ rebuild

now power, im sure your assuming say a 250 2 stoke and a 250 4 stroke are the same over all HP?
well seeing AMA will do nothing about this, but are well aware… a 2 stroke produces pretty damn close to .10 hp per CC so a 250 2 stroke would have 25 hp @ crank.
now a 4 stroke on the other hand, is pretty damn close to .12 hp per CC.
so a 250 4 stroke would be 30hp.

BUT again nothing is an ACTUAL 250/450cc ect… my RM125 was really a 124.6 or something. not that big of a deal.

again not trying to be a dick, just bring up a point.

i still say a DRZ some way new or used. mod parts everywhere, pretty cheap and reliable proof. then he’ll have a headlight and a street conversion if wanted

DRZ’s are heavy as hell for trail riding… my vote goes to any 250f, honda would be my bet or a yz…

KTM makes an excellent bike, but a bit pricey. talk to 943kgt

true, he said trial riding, i dont know how much jumping or how many berms he is diving into lol. i would look into an off-road package of something. yam/wr, hon/x ect. if trails are what your doing, you will love the headlight lol
CR500 once it gets dark is NOT fun

actually… a 250cc 4stroke is comparable to a 125cc 2stroke and a 250cc 2stroke is comparable to a 450cc fourstroke.

Kawasaki KDX’s are danm good trailbikes (2strokes)

also…with dirtbikes… expecially trail bikes…you want power all the way through the powerband… hence why i think the 4stroke would be a better bike…

a 125cc motocross bike is almost useless on a trail (tight trails)
where as a 250cc 4stroke has a lot more bottom end which makes coming out of a slow corner that much quicker.
But on 2stroke defense… the kdx has a lot of 4stroke atributes… they are geared a lot lower and more broad powerrange making a very sutable trail bike…along with a lower Center of gravity.

also…a 4stroke rebuild is NOT $1000. maybe $500. (I put a big bore kit in my 250F for around $600)

KTM 144 all the way.

have you ridden a dirt bike before and know you’re going to like it? riding it once or twice doesn’t count either…my suggestion is to buy a used bike for around a grand, ride it next summer…THEN think about a new bike. Why lose depreciation value if you decide you don’t like riding? just my .02 though…

i know i was just using it as the example that its not exactly half the power.
not trying to call you out or anything, just giving out some info i picked up.

agreed about the KDX also

on the 4 stroke rebuild note, if you F up a crank, head, or even anything in the valvetrain your looking at some major $$. but i am looking at this from a race point of view. im sure this bike wont see WOT as much as im / we(?) may be thinking.

trail bike, not track
this bike was made to better compete with 250 4 strokes…