Looking at new/used dirtbikes.

On impulse, I decided to stop down at the Honda House after work to get a sneak peak at the 2007 Honda CRF 250x and the Kawasaki KLX 450. I was rather suprised by both, The 250x seemed to suite me alot better for my weight/riding abilities. I’m leaning more towards a new bike for ridability/maintenance. I tried to stop down at Bohn Yamaha, but they were closed.

After reading the new Dirt Rider article on the KLX 450, I was very impressed with it, but wanted some input/suggestions on what I should be looking for. The KDX was a nice project to put back together, but I’m looking for something alittle newer and friendlier on my neighbors ears.

Thanks,
Sean

isnt the CRF 250X just the endure version of the CRF 250R mx bike? if so, thats alot different than the KLX450. the CRF is a better performing bike, overall. lighter, more nimble and still plenty fast. i’d say CRF…assuming its the off-road version of the MXer

I have a friend who was talking about selling his crf250… I’ll if he’s still, and get some info for you. the 450 is a shit ton of bike. hell the 250 is stupid quick

Any of the new 450’s are alot of bike for your average rider. If your a skilled rider i say go for the 450, but if your of average skill pick up the 250. IMO i think the new 250 4 strokes are the perfect all around bikes, good in the woods, good on the track, still plenty of bike, no slouches by any means.

The Honda CRF 250X has a different size rear tire, gearing, and some other small things from the CRF. I thought about the KLX450, but it’s to much of a bike for me at the moment. I want something that I can get on and enjoy as-is stock, and be able to be nimble as heck in the woods. Honda House wanted 6,200 for one. I have to stop at some other places still.

250X vs. KLX 450, the 250 is my favorite. I would like to ride one before I buy, but the only place that doe’s that still is Tom Clark going down toward Uniontown.

you are pretty much correct, except buying a used fourstroke, especially a 250 and especially an early model is bad. it won’t be long before your dumping a grand or more in it to redo the topend. a newer model won’t be as bad since they improve the reliability and wear and tear on the valves and etc each year. the 250 are runner harder so obviously more wear.

buy a new 250 fourstroke or a used 2stroke 250

6200 for a 250? ouch. my price on a new 450 is less than that.

hmm, i didnt realize the new klx 450 was based off of the kxf platform, so my bad. i was thinking it was still the old style, where they werent a very good performing bike. since its basically an offroad version of the new kxf450, then i take back what i said about the crf being a better performing bike. i still say the 250f is a better bike for you though. a 450 would be alot to handle in the woods, i would think. and all around a 250f is very versitile.

Looked on Cycletrader.com, seems there is a large market for 2003 and newer bikes being sold for around 3,500 or less. Found a CRF250x and CRF250R I will be going to lok at for 3,400 and 3,000.

older used one are not very reliable. each year they improve the valve train which inturn increases reliability. plan on spending another 1000 on top of that price not long after getting it to rebuild/replace the whole topend.

keep looking, i bet you can find a 05-06 for that price. i bought a 07 rm250 2 stroke for 3800.

dont buy a crf250 before 06. they have alot of head/valve problems. also stay away from pre 06 KXF 250s and pre 07 RMZ 250fs. the newer platforms are much better and more reliable. really the yamahas are probly the most reliable. id say if you can find a nice used 06+ YZ250F then thatd be the best bike to get. then just throw on some handgaurds and a flywheel weight and call it a day.

Stopped down at Bohn Yamaha/KTM last night to see the KTM 250 offroad bike. Got some more information on that and I like the bike alot for what it is, too bad I won’t pay their 6,300 pricetag. Anyone suggest some other dealerships to go to?

coming from someone who just recently got out of dirtbike/atv sales… you can DEFINITELY get that crf250x for under 6k if you sweet talk them lol
its a hell of a bike though, we couldnt keep them on the showroom floor when i was a salesman… and the company i worked for sold over 4500 bikes last year

dave yezek is selling one of his old bikes. good buy for what it is. he is running am’s again, gearing up for loretta.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/352362604.html

yep, i’ve been racing with him. just seen him today.

I stopped today at Tom Clark Motorsports, they had the Suzuki DRZ400SM bike there. I’ve been reading alot of good things about this bike. They have it listed at 6,300 before tax’s. Been thinking about it. Is this a good price for a 2006 bike?