48÷2(9+3)=?

and what’s the answer to that, chief.

there will always be 2 answers because something is missing in the equation to define the “whats next”

as it sits, per 3rd grade math the answer is 288.

It’s really just a terrible question. No math test or teacher would ever give it in that format. It’s way too ambiguous. It can go either way, yes math is based on rules and solid foundations as vlad said. However this is really up to the interpretation of the reader. You can easily get both answers depending which way you go about it. If I ever gave this question on a test, I would accept both answers because I would consider it my mistake for being a dumb ass and not putting it in a proper format.

-BS Mathematics

Listen to the geniuses people… Mike and I

Symbols of grouping can be used to override the usual order of operations. Grouped symbols can be treated as a single expression. Symbols of grouping can be removed using the associative and distributive laws.

What now fuckers of 288?

ill say it again, the equation isnt complete and there for has 2 different answers. but hey…fight with Vlad all u want. :thumbup

"As stated numerous times the answer is indeed 2.

48/2(9+3)

The 2 above is a factor of (9+3). The (9+3) are the terms of 2. This statement written in English is:

Forty eight divided by twice the sum of nine plus three.

Also as mentioned before with the shorthand notation of 2(9+3) this can be in fact written many different ways, such as:

2(9+3) = 3(3+1) = (29+23) = (33+31) = (2*12) etc etc. The 2 is exclusive to whatever is inside the parenthesis. It is outside only to denote factored form."

So let’s see a definition that says Symbols of grouping overrides pemdas bs, plain English that explains that 2*x is not the same as 2x, a mathematical rule that demonstrates that the factor of 2 should be applied to each number inside…

Hey guys answer this

What’s 48/(24)?
What’s 48/(12)2?
What’s 48/(1+0)24?

And before you say I can’t do that ^ there are plenty of rules that say I can. The number that comes out of the parenthesis that gets assigned to it can go on either side outside because it has to be the next step in calculations.

follow up question: who gives a fuck?

On a side note, somebody just pulled the greatest troll job in the history of the Internet.

The world has been trolled :wow

2(9+3) = (9+3)+(9+3) = two times nine plus 3 = 3(3+1)+3(3+1) = 2(3(3+1)) = (3+1)6

You got 48 apples you need divided by two groups of 9 girls and 3 guys, how many does each get?

I’m going to sleep.

I just asked a few people here at work, all came up with 288.

This has to be the only website in the world where that equation can generate almost 200posts. The casio calculator isn’t in scientific function. 288 is the answer if your in fifth grade math.

Google the equation and see all the forums talking about this :rofl

Christ.

Everyone ignored Benny’s link to a legit source that says it’s 288.

Wolfram’s motherfucking Alpha.

my coworker tried to put it into a word problem to twist it his way too, get that shit out of here.

lol agreed. it seems the world if 50/50 on this. There is no rule.

distribute the 48 halves into the (9+3) and see what you get.