540i or m5

[quote=“sedlmeier101,post:20,topic:36489"”]

newer bimmers can last upwards of 150K.

Don’t belive me? I know a few people who drive some e46’s with 165K+ and the car drives perfect

[/quote]

Of course they can. So can old BMW’s.

The simple fact that you posted this thread with obviously little knowledge of the E39’s shows that you do not know very much about BMW’s and you should do some research, as previously stated.

I am sure 66impalass was refering to the fact that high mileage early model E39 M5’s are going to require a good deal of maintenance and expensive maintenance at that. (See Carbon build up reference)

[quote=“theblue,post:13,topic:36489"”]

540i because the M5’s HP/TQ numbers are BS as proven by what happens when you put an M5 rear end on a 540… they somehow are just about as fast all of a sudden???

magic?

BMW claims you can’t dyno an M5 and see it’s true numbers… hmmm…

also, it’s not that they both are not reliable, but the maintainance costs are high because of how many systems and components there are on the car. (ever replace a rear ball joint before?) It seams like every other month max is telling me about $200-400 on stupid shit he had to buy.

[/quote]

ive never heard this… Proof?

[quote=“Jagermeister,post:21,topic:36489"”]

Of course they can. So can old BMW’s.

The simple fact that you posted this thread with obviously little knowledge of the E39’s shows that you do not know very much about BMW’s and you should do some research, as previously stated.

I am sure 66impalass was refering to the fact that high mileage early model E39 M5’s are going to require a good deal of maintenance and expensive maintenance at that. (See Carbon build up reference)

[/quote]

that and I could have sworn that there was an issue with the rear end on them as well, fuck it has been like a year when I was looking at them and I don’t remember why the people on the bimmer boards kept telling me to stay away from the 01

Im with Jager on just doing some quick research… If I had to pick I would go with the 540i. Ill know I have enough money to afford an M5 when I dont need to be thinking about a decision like this.In all honesty though, and I know you didnt want any other suggestions, but if you can find one (they are hard to find) then I recommend trying to find an e34 540i with the 6spd. Theyre great cars, alot easier to work on than the e39, and if you get an ache for a little more power then call upon the good ol supercharger kit.

I’d go with the 540i. Just because it’s similar to the 528i, and I miss my car a whole lot. Haha.

go 540 and use the money saved to drop in a blower, suspension, and rims and you have a faster, sexier beast

M5FTW

Bump.

Not sure if this is the correct thread exaclty but its easier then making a new one. Anyone on here have anything to add as far as the transmissions in the 540s? Auto vs manual? Pros/cons. A friend of mine is looking at an 03 540i with M package, 129k, and auto. Really wants the manual but the car seems nice and clean. He could possibly swap it down the road if he has enough interest in it or just keep it the way it is. Any info would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Ha.

took me through post 10 to figure out this thread is 5 years old

edit: 5 years to the day, weird

Didn’t notice to the day, weird for sure. haha.

Creepy. Three pedal fan here.

X…

I still want my M5 back :frowning:

There are a few things I’m willing to bend on for any car. Trans is not one of them. For a widely produced car? Not worth it, wait for what they want

I miss driving that thing! =/

$$$ VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I loved driving the m5… great car

i love my 6 speed. the only automatic E39 i ever drove was a '98 528i, and it was…an automatic. nothing to write home about. i’d never buy an auto 540i, only because the 6 speed is so easy to drive. the M package for 2003-only is rare and desirable, but i’d still rather have the stick.

FYI, all 6 speeds came with a 2.81 rear diff, so for a nice boost in performance for cheap, throw in a 3.15 from most any auto 540i (make sure you check the sticker on top of the diff showing the ratio).

If you have more in depth questions feel free to PM me or throw a text my way anytime. more than willing to help out. i love these cars.

ugh… this was my old thread…I now have a sti and ram pickup… no $ for an m5 :confused: