Track car questions...

I’m interested in racing and doing track days, I have a '97 540i 6spd car. It’s a little heavy has an open diff and the steering isn’t very tight. People usually swap the M5 steering box in for a better steering ratio and they also swap in the M5 LSD. If I were to do this I’d gut the interior for racing and probably need other things like brake pads, suspension(little tired), and tires.

I’m thinking maybe this isn’t the best car for this purpose due to the cost to race. Maybe I should sell it and get a 3 series or another car that would be cheaper to buy suspension parts, brakes, tires etc. If I were to get a different car for this purpose it would have to be rwd.

Any thoughts?

Is this your only vehicle>

No it’s my fun car, I have a truck I plan to tow the vehicle with to the track.

I would imagine a 3 series would be more nimble and fun on a track, not to mention cheaper. I’m glad you have another vehicle though :slight_smile:

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

EDIT: sell the 540, buy a 3000 dollar cbr, 636, or any sportbike. do an oil change, buy gear, and do track days on it. :wink:

Lol im interested in staying on 4 wheels! Used to have an R6 tho

Personally, I would start with a car that’s track day friendly right out of the box and then tweak it with basic mods/tires/brakes/fluids. On track, weight can be the biggest factor in wither you’re having fun or not. You’ll end up putting more time and money into changing this car into something you’ll be happy with, IMHO.

If you want to stick with BMW, the obvious choices are E30 or E36. An E36M can be had for under $8k in really good condition. Closer to $6k with a beat interior that will be gutted anyways.

Well this car was only 3.5k so even if I put 2k into it, it would be cheaper than a 6k car. If I really gutted it, it might turn out to be a decent track car. I’m a beginner, I’ve never raced on a track but I always wanted to, that’s why I want to do what I can in the cheapest way.

So you never raced on a track but you’re trying to build a track car out of a BMW? lol

Not like a crazy all purpose build lol, just want to have a good car to learn with and have fun with.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

http://bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=36582

Has been done with a 540i before and it can be lightened up pretty good although I probably wouldn’t go as far as this guy.

The problem with heavy track cars is much higher consumables costs. Gas, brakes, tires, etc. I would pick up a vehicle that has a spec race such as an e30, miata, 944, etc. As a beginner, these cars have a ton of excellent track documentation so you know what works and what doesn’t. E36 isn’t a bad idea either but its obviously more expensive to start.

Your current car will work, but in a year you’re going to want to replace it if you get the bug. The resale value will be shot and you will have to start over. IMHO, start with a car you can grow with.

This was more over all point but more detailed :slight_smile:

I’m going to be selling my e36m3 soon. $6700. I have maintenance receipts from the past 3 years for that much in parts alone. Urethane bushings, UUC stage 1 clutch & flywheel, uuc short shifter, h&r sports, koni double adjustables (awesome). Headgasket, vanos rebuilt, new clutch hydraulics, etc. Whole new cooling system: radiator, overflow tank, thermostat, aluminum t -stat housing, metal impeller water pump. 3 owners 0 accidents, from southern PA no rust, stored during winter here. square 17x8.5 m contour setup.

I have a detailed mod/maintenance list and all receipts

in 1997 Car & Driver called the e36 m3 the best handling car for any price.

Many people prefer the sedans to the coupes for track cars due to their b pillar placement

Please choose a better starting platform

Negative ghost rider.

Get a better car. Buy a miata, it’s a man’s car.

Bring your car to the track this year. Do itttt.

That’s my plan, I just bought a roll bar so I’m good to go.

I’ve seen a couple 5 series raced before by beginners, and even automatic Mercedes. Very successfully at that. :gotme:

My advice:

Do a couple track days with the 540. Buy track pads (I’m a huge fan of Carbotech XP8 for street tires), bleed the brakes with ATE Superblue (~$250 total). And that’s it. Do not spend money doing siq suspension mods, power mods, or even tires (and if you need tires go to Fox Tire and by used, seriously ask for tires that won’t pass inspection, just have matching axle pairs). Do not waste your time, or devalue your car by gutting it. Drive.

Then take the time and re-evaluate if this is the platform right for you.

Do you want to build a track car or a race car?

I’m not familiar with BMW CCA racing classes, but there are few places where you could race a 540 competitively. Still, if you really HAD to you can wheel to wheel race the 540 you could.

You can see the base class for the 540 is PTE** (and then based on mods it moves up classes).

The cheapest way to get into wheel to wheel racing is either rent a car with a team for LeMons or Chump. Probably second cheapest way is buy a pre-built and LOGBOOKed car for SCCA ITA/ITS and also be legal to race in NASA PT class.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

actually a good price for winning car: SCCA, Improved Touring for sale on RacingJunk
cheap: SCCA, Improved Touring for sale on RacingJunk
cheap: SCCA, Improved Touring for sale on RacingJunk
looks o.k. ish: Nissan 300zx - SCCA ITS

I can’t find like 4 source that I used to use.

Oh yeah, read some rules while you’re at it:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

www.scca.com/clubracing/
http://www.scca.com/assets/2013%20GCR%20mobile-February.pdf

Chime back in after you’ve done a couple track days with the 540 and let us know if you are going to stick with the platform.

I just want to drive around a track with other cars or maybe by myself and see how it is. I thought M5’s were supposed to be a good drivers car and handle ok. Not that I have an m5 but if I had the diff and the steering box it would be just an underpowered version. Then I remove everything I can that can easily be installed again if need be to lighten it up. This doesn’t sound like a decent car to have fun doing laps?

I don’t plan to ever be very competitive, and I don’t plan to spend tons of money, but its something I’m interested in and think it would be a blast and there is a lot I still need to learn about just getting on a track. I gues people might be overthinking my plans with the car.

Taken from the track sticky 7 years ago…

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?10107-Road-Courses-Driver-Events-and-Time-Trials-in-the-area-(Updated-for-2012)

You can have fun on a track in ANY street car, even a 1985 Chrysler 5th Ave.
You can learn driving techniques, looking ahead, lines, braking, weight transfer, etc. in far worse cars than a BMW.
The ONLY thing that needs to work every time is your brakes, and the bits and pieces that keep you tires in alignment.

Spend money on pads and fluid. Drive.

I just want to mirror the good brakes comment. I raced a taurus SHO for many years. It is probably similar in weight to your 540. Brake problems are something I always had to deal with. The 2 biggest things I did to reduce brake problems were track pads (I ran hawk HT10) and sticky tires, and honestly sticky tires had the biggest impact. When you don’t have to slow down as much for corners it keeps a lot of heat out of your brakes.

fresh brake fluid
fresh engine oil
good front brake pads

go beat the hell out of your car for the day. Any car when driven at its limit is a blast.