540i or m5

If you had a choice… what would you purchase?

an e39 540i with the 4.4L v8 and 6spd manual, or a e39 m5.

The M badge carries I believe 100 more HP is this true? And a bunch of other go fast goodies, but also racks in about $15K more.

So if you had $25K sitting around and had to make a choice, would you spend around 10 on the 540i and throw some decent mods on or buy a m5 and just drive it.

(and don’t say, you’d buy something else//this is a poll with out a poll)

I don’t know shit about these cars… but i’d imagine a 540i is never going to turn into much of a car modded or not? I am speaking in reference to speed/handling, not ballerness.

You are not going to find a quality, well maintained 540i manual for 10k or a quality, well maintained M5 for $25k. You are about $5-10k off both prices depending on year and mileage.

That being said, id take the M5. It does come with an extra 100hp over the 540i, plus some extra goodies. Only problem is that the earlier M5’s had issues with carbon build up and can be a very expensive fix.

Do some research.

M5

As a project or as a daily?

[quote=“Jagermeister,post:3,topic:36489"”]

You are not going to find a quality, well maintained 540i manual for 10k or a quality, well maintained M5 for $25k. You are about $5-10k off both prices depending on year and mileage.

That being said, id take the M5. It does come with an extra 100hp over the 540i, plus some extra goodies. Only problem is that the earlier M5’s had issues with carbon build up and can be a very expensive fix.

Do some research.

[/quote]

These are all good points so the only true e39 option you have is the 540. if you want an m car then you will need to go back to the e34 to get in your price range and you will still have money for mods. an e39 540 could be a lot of fun too and its certainly a great choice.

The 540 looks great, and I’m sure it wouldn’t take $15k extra to rack up 100 more HP. I’d take the 540.

I’m looking at getting a 540i 6sp next summer. They are certainly great cars, excellent drivers and can be made to go fast. Of course if I had the money I would get an e39 M5, but you can get a decent 540 for about 20k an M5 you’re looking at over $30k at least…

tha v8 is something to be desired in the 540…

M5, just because it will hold it’s value much much better.

[quote=“sedlmeier101"”]

So if you had $25K sitting around and had to make a choice

[/quote]

id buy a fucking house

[quote=“psphinx81,post:10,topic:36489"”]

id buy a fucking house

[/quote]

good call

but if you must spend money go with the M5 y not?

yeah, i wouldnt waste that much on a car that old…

540i because the M5’s HP/TQ numbers are BS as proven by what happens when you put an M5 rear end on a 540… they somehow are just about as fast all of a sudden???

magic?

BMW claims you can’t dyno an M5 and see it’s true numbers… hmmm…

also, it’s not that they both are not reliable, but the maintainance costs are high because of how many systems and components there are on the car. (ever replace a rear ball joint before?) It seams like every other month max is telling me about $200-400 on stupid shit he had to buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-BMW-M5-CALIFORNIA-CAR-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ190158998076QQihZ009QQcategoryZ6008QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It seems that the M badge is a bit pricy…granted you are getting more…but I think you are just paying for the “M”.

And no, I’m not looking to buy one…I just though this would be a good discusion.

I do love the e39 m5’s though. ughh so hot.

[quote=“psphinx81,post:10,topic:36489"”]

id buy a fucking house

[/quote]

Truth right there.

[quote=“theblue,post:13,topic:36489"”]

also, it’s not that they both are not reliable, but the maintainance costs are high because of how many systems and components there are on the car. (ever replace a rear ball joint before?) It seams like every other month max is telling me about $200-400 on stupid shit he had to buy.

[/quote]

Yup the majority of those cars complicated electrical nightmares. Even my e32 7er was like that. If something breaks it’s usually a high dollar fix. So unless you have the money/desire to buy the car and deal with the maintenance I wouldn’t bother.

[quote=“sedlmeier101,post:15,topic:36489"”]

It seems that the M badge is a bit pricy…granted you are getting more…but I think you are just paying for the “M”.

And no, I’m not looking to buy one…I just though this would be a good discusion.

I do love the e39 m5’s though. ughh so hot.

[/quote]

youre paying for just the M? or that its as fast as a C5 vette from 0 all the way to 150 and seats 5 comfortably and is pimp as shit.

…good thing you dont have 25k lying around :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:14,topic:36489"”]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-BMW-M5-CALIFORNIA-CAR-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ190158998076QQihZ009QQcategoryZ6008QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[/quote]

don’t touch a high mileage '01 ///M

thats high milage for a near 7 year old car?

[quote=“66impalass,post:18,topic:36489"”]

don’t touch a high mileage '01 ///M

[/quote]

newer bimmers can last upwards of 150K.

Don’t belive me? I know a few people who drive some e46’s with 165K+ and the car drives perfect