CTSV vs e46 M3 vs E39 M5 vs B6 V8 S4

It appears that the Lexus will be sold after the holidays which means an open garage spot.

I have been thinking for a while about getting a performance “daily” that will get used regardless of weather.

I am looking for something to enjoy that is not my FX35 and is not my Twin Turbo Mustang. Something in the middle and fun to drive in all seasons.

So that being said, I am looking at 04-07 CTS V, e46 M3, e39 M5 and B6 S4 v8. Only looking at manual transmission…SMG and Flappy Paddles can frig off.

In owning all of the cars that I have over the years, I have to safely assume the American car will be cheaper to maintain and the LSX aftermarket is wide open.

The Germans are a bit more picky and expensive to modify and maintain.

Budget is 20k or less and I will be looking to purchase sometime in Mid January if anyone knows of a car that is or will be coming available for sale.

Thoughts? Is there another vehicle I may not be thinking of like an 07+ 3 or 5 sport series BMW?

Evo/STi? Or have you grown up too much for one of those?

CTS-V or M5

CTS-V - You can get a clean, decent example for around $20k.

Everything else is going to be junk/too old for that same amount.

Lease something brand new

The S4 shouldn’t even be on that list. It’s not even in the same category. It’s slow as shit and a maintenance whore. Speed wise you’d be better off with a 540i. That being said, CTSV or M5. M5 is a better car, CTSV is better if you want to do upgrades to engine power and have a cheaper cost of ownership.

C5 Z06.

So, lease a new what for $500/month that fits his criteria?

FYI - this is the worst advice in the entire thread. Keep moving along, nothing to see here.

I vote e46 m3

If you’re only going to drive the northtowns I’d vote M3.

If you plan on driving into the snowbelt the S4 gets my vote but I’d be concerned about how good an example of one I’d find for 20k.

If Amherst continues the shit job they’ve been doing with plowing the S4 might get my vote for northtowns only driving too.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4167841846.html

S4’s are way cheaper than $20k. You should get one if you like slow, heavy, terrible MPG way above average maintenance whores.

CTS-V - cheapest to maintain, LSX aftermarket is wacko good, you’ll do good heaters, interior is just okay compared to the others.

E39 M5 - charisma and curb appeal is great, motor makes great sounds and moves out, interior is wonderful, aftermarket is somewhat there but is absurdly expensive to make any more power, you will weep for hours when it breaks and you need to buy parts. (goes for any German car).

E46 M3 - the other 3 listed are mid size executive sedans so I’m thinking this may be a bit small for your needs. Same as the E39 for interior, sounds, appeal, and maintenance.

B6 S4 - AWD will be a nice touch, BUT, from what I hear they aren’t as quick and reliable as any of the other options.

IMO go with a CTS-V, E39 M5, E39 540i, CPO 335xi, CPO A4 Quattro (with a motor that’s quick enough for you, can also get this in a wagon). Evo and STI are always good options and are very good at fulfilling the “super fun but still sensible daily driver” role but IMHO have none of the class and professionalism that the other ones have.

oh this thread again…

why not just look at LZ’s thread…

and if you already have an FX35 and a TT Mustang then get rid of one of those and increase budget :slight_smile:

Exactly what I told him lol.

stay away from the b6 s4, great car but too problematic

lose the FX35 and get a B8 S4… they are seriously fun to drive stock and even better with a basic tune.

500 a month isn’t a lot at all with a couple grand down, it’s not fair to call it bad advice.

If you never want to fix anything again and have peace of mind and get a brand new vehicle after a few years a lease fits the bill.

Unless it’s for fun/modding I never want to turn a wrench again for the rest of my life.

Or you could always buy an outgoing model year.

E46M3/thread. You can get nice ones well in your budget. Put snows on it and it’ll be a beast in the snow. Throw $5k at it and get EVERYTHING need for reliable 450hp supercharger kit. Done

On a car he will probably put less than 5000 miles a year on…

DD? Lease is the way to go. You don’t lease a car and pay 20k over 3 years to drive it for a total of 16 months.