Upgrading from the E55

Looking to move on from the E55

Looking at 09+ CTS V E60 M5 M6 or V8 M3

Thoughts?

CTS-V will be much cheaper to maintain out of those

Its also about 10k more up front cost

CTS-V’s can be had for sub $35k, which M3 V8’s are $25k?

I’m looking at e92 M3s myself. I miss driving a manual and would rather have something that handles better opposed to straight line power that I can never use around here anyways.

CTS V and M3 are 30-35

M5 and M6 are 25-30

What do you want to do with the vehicle?

I want to drive it when I dont want to drive manual obnoxious Mustangs so I am actually looking for an auto with enjoyable paddle shift capability

I want to drive it 12 mos of the year

I want to have similar or better power to the E55

I want all of the comfort and tech of a car slightly newer than the E55

E92 M3 is awesome a-la- @bing and you’ll love the shifting if you don’t get a manual.

M6 would be my next choice after that.

Personally I think the v8 m3’s are super underwhelming in stock form. Got to take a frozen edition one out and I thought it sucked to be flat out blunt. They’re a mid to high 12 second car and they’re uber expensive to maintain. If I were to pick out of those Id go for a Cadillac

v8 m3’s are slow. M6s are pricey. you want a car you an drive 12 mos? m5 with the SMG. sedan with room for shit, similar performance to the e55… boom

b8 s4

I had a dream last night I was driving your E55 in Vegas…but it was black, not silver. Weird.

E60 M5’s are great in SMG form, unless they are out of warranty. The 6 speed version feels like they took a car they designed and put something they didn’t intend into it because they were pressured to. It’s not as good of a car (odd I know). Gearing is a real afterthought. But the only version of the car I’d own out of factory warranty would be a 6 speed, and even still I’d pass.

V8 M3 is also great. But the rear diff cover does like to explode dumping the diff out of the car breaking a lot of stuff. Been in one that’s done that and one of the aftermarket companies makes a billet replacement now.

CTS-V is the obvious choice out of these three. Easiest to work on, cheapest parts, biggest burnouts.

Every person I’ve talked to that has driven/owned an E60 M5 has complained about how narrow the powerband is - which is probably going to really suck for you coming from the supercharged E55’s torque.

I’d go with the CTS-V, you could throw a dirt cheap cam, tune, and pulley on it and reverse the earth’s rotation with torque

The auto in the CTS-V is a hoss, but definitely not as refined as a BMW SMG. Granted the earlier M5’s SMG reliability is not that great from what I have read.
The V makes great power and has a large affordable aftermarket following. I think this winter the mod bug might take a bigger bite into mine.

My only disappointment with the V2 is the weight (and stock exhaust note). Magnetic ride and a good weight distribution can only do so much. She still carries a lot of weight into the corners.

Edit: After Norb’s comment another pain point is the 6,200 redline. I am sure a tune can raise it but there is probably a reason that it is there.

That’s probably because most people aren’t used to having an engine that prefers to live over 4000rpm. As long as you keep the RPM’s up and let the engine breath, the powerband is fine.

completely agreed, but i can see how it’s a pain on the street where you normally don’t exceed 4000.

Goddamn first world problems - “I have to push my right foot in more than I normally would and wait longer to shift in order to achieve lightspeed”

I would go CTS-V if i had to pick from those. Those germans have been burning holes in my pockets for years now.

The E55 was my jam, and you wont find an easy upgrade.

The only one on your list that makes sense is the CTS-V, but at the end of the day its still a 4 door heavy sedan with a big supercharged v8 - which is what you have now.