60 hp/liter, 30lb engine

That turbo is TINY.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/76f7cc7d-b3be-4e7c-bbe3-998200c91606.htm

This is an electronically fuel injected 5hp briggs and stratton motor. In the video we are tuning the fuel map. It produced 10.5 hp at 5 psi @4700 rpm. The results should be more significant once we finish tuning and can rev up to 8500rpm.

yup, i am going to need that on my kart.

LOL what a waste of money. The kart motors I use make about 11HP to the flywheel and don’t need a turbo. The one time I raced a limited motor which made around 25 HP and redlined at around 11000 rpm’s.

What an incredibly boring video.

I wish I had a bad idea and money to throw around.

[quote=“Roush97,post:3,topic:38897"”]

LOL what a waste of money. The kart motors I use make about 11HP to the flywheel and don’t need a turbo. The one time I raced a limited motor which made around 25 HP and redlined at around 11000 rpm’s.

[/quote]

Good for you.

however, I do believe that this is a high school project.

they also use briggs motors for those jr dragsters. i would watch fathers come into the shop i worked at, showing off these ultra expensive briggs 5hp engines that cost thousands. All to get 9 hp or so out of them. To each thier own i guess.

I wonder if they did acam swap first… thats the best bang for your buck on one of those.

Thats cool that they got a turbo on a Briggs engine and it made some power.
A friend of mine just got into racing carts, nothing big just a hobby with a lot of other people. I’ve been researching these engines (well, the aftermarket aspect) and would like to build one for my friend to see how we’d hold up with his friends, since some of them spend the money on this little engine to get built at a performance machine shop.
It seems that a few of you guys know about these engines. So, if you could offer some insight or links, books, ect. PM me or something.

So, I will clarify… :slight_smile:

My 18hp B&H needs a cam to get to 22hp.

As far as the 5hp’ers … I can see where a lot of these guys are spending a lot of their money… but it shouldn’t be that much.

Bore/stroke - Many of the components from the 6-8hp motors should be able to swap, yes?
headwork - These heads are horrible… PnP, deck and you should have some more go
carb - This is where the tuning comes in. I highly recommend deciding where you will be for the majoirty of the race… and stick with that range to make your power. The only time your carb is too big is when you’re not revving high enough :slight_smile:
exhaust - eh… I found a 10" piece of copper in the garage and straight piped it.

A friend down the road had a race motor… the name evades me right now, but it was tiny compared to my 5hp and the compression on this thing was rediculous… I think thats where you get your power on these.

I believe it’s a GT12 turbo. If you’re into this sort of thing check out FSAE sites. It looks like a school project rather than something that was supposed to be the best option for racing.

I think they put smaller turbos on Bobcats…