8/13 autocross - BIMP

To be honest, I don’t know what speed I hit at the top of second. The only times I really push the car to that point are at an autocross or track event, and those times I’m not looking at my speed.

My first run I stayed in second gear, and didn’t hit the limiter (which is at 6500). The second run I came out of that bottom turn leading into the straight more agressively and hit the limiter for 2-3 bounces. I spoke with one of my instructors to find out if I should be shifting or or letting it bounce a few times like that, and he said that if I was only hitting the limitor that few times then I need to be accelerating more out of the turn and be shifting probably just around the tower, even if that is before I get to the limitor. So, that’s what I was doing… shifting just as I passed the tower into third, even though it wasn’t when I was hitting the line. I have no idea what RPM I was at at that point, because I was pretty intent on watching the course. Granted, I wasn’t IN third for very long (the rest of the course was a solid second gear for me).

Which brings me to a question. No flaming, please. Since this is the first time I’ve actually gotten out of second… as I came around the first 180 turn in the manzas… should I have shifted back into second BEFORE going around the turn, or once I came out of it? And should I have rev matched on the way back down to second? At this event I was rev matching back into second before I started the turn, but I have no idea if this is the best way to handle the vehicle in an autocross situation.

Any suggestions about anything I’ve said would be appreciated :slight_smile: Always looking to learn more so that I have a fighting chance once I’m out of Novice and competeing against the other A Stockers 8-O