'90 Civic Si Info...

…I’m going to look at a '90 Si next week and want to know what I should be checking for? What are known problem areas? Suspension peices that fail? Any susp. mounting points or other structural issues that I should know about?

-TJ

Fairly good unibody around the suspension so usually that is ok. The bushings may need replaced and if you switch shocks the rear bolts like to break. Other than that check for rust or rot on the rocker panels below the doors and rear quarters like to fall apart. That is the chassis i used for my 500 whp drag car and never replaced any bushings and it was tight as new. Best of luck :bigthumb:

Usual Honda rust spots. Sunroofs can get weak so check that out, make sure it moves back n forth ok, has a good rubber seal on it since those go bad. Kick the floors. I’ve heard some of them get pretty bad floorboard rust, but usually its rare. Suspension on mine has been though tons of changes, autocrosses, track days, etc. So granted its upgraded, but the only stock items I seem to go though fast are front upper ball joints. Also check the rear trailing arm bushings (the huge ones in front of rear wheels, off to the sides of the gas tank) if they haven’t been replaced the chances of them having cracks the whole way though are pretty high. Watch the drivers side motor mounts those can develop cracks also. Usually even if they are beat you can still throw alot of shit at them and they will take it. If I think of more I’ll post it!

It’s an original CA car, so hopefully the rust won’t be an issue. But I’ll check. The guy did mention he was throwing in a full bushing kit (not installed) so I’ll take a close look at those… I’m guessing at least a few are bad since he bought the kit.

It has a SOHC VTEC '95 Civic EX swap, but uses the stock Si tranny. The motor is all-stock other than being swapped into the '90. The trans is bad (‘carrier bearing’ he says) so I know it needs that. He says that’s pretty common in these trannies? It’s a black car, and he claims very clean. Roughly what do you think a car like this would be worth?

Of course the motor swap would throw it out of being a STS car or anything. But it’s mostly gonna be a DD for my 100 mile a day commute. What sort of MPG would I expect? The motor swap was done ‘right’ with the stock computer to the motor so is there any reason I should expect to see at least 30mpg on the freeway?

-TJ

It’s an original CA car, so hopefully the rust won’t be an issue. But I’ll check. The guy did mention he was throwing in a full bushing kit (not installed) so I’ll take a close look at those… I’m guessing at least a few are bad since he bought the kit.

It has a SOHC VTEC '95 Civic EX swap, but uses the stock Si tranny. The motor is all-stock other than being swapped into the '90. The trans is bad (‘carrier bearing’ he says) so I know it needs that. He says that’s pretty common in these trannies? It’s a black car, and he claims very clean. Roughly what do you think a car like this would be worth?

Of course the motor swap would throw it out of being a STS car or anything. But it’s mostly gonna be a DD for my 100 mile a day commute. What sort of MPG would I expect? The motor swap was done ‘right’ with the stock computer to the motor so is there any reason I should expect to see at least 30mpg on the freeway?

-TJ

when i was looking for a replacement car, clean b series swapped 4th gen’s were bringing 4-5k.

stock si’s that were clean were in the 2500 range, but few and far between.

so what the market was selling at and what i was willing to pay–2 different things.

for what it is worth, i sold my clean 91 civic hatch w/ ls swap and did the work it needed for 3k. my si, i was asking 1500 for it bone stock w/ rust on the 1/4’s and had people who wanted the car. just rolled it before i could make a deal.

biggest thing i’d look at on the car your looking to get is how the sohc vtec was wired in. did they keep it obd0 and run a switch setup for the vtec solenoid, or did the convert the car to obd1 specs. i’d just see that their work was cleanly done, no rats nests and butt connectors all over the place.

It is OBD-I with the VTEC working off the factory ECU for the motor. I’ll look to see how nicely the wiring itself was done though.

-TJ

TTT- well life, work, being lazy etc. had kept me from even looking at the car. But I’m finally setup to go look Monday. He had it on CL for a long time for $2k and obviously hasn’t sold it. I’m thinking of offering him $1k cash if it’s a) fairly clean (particularly the interior since I’ll be spending a lot of time in there commuting) b) the wiring for the OBDI swap seems nice. Thoughts?

-TJ

Link to said CL add?

It’s not up there now… he’s had no luck selling it. Oh, and this is in CA so stop tryin’ to swoopins on my score.

-TJ

Not trying to swoop in on your score’s. Just wanted to look.

I know, I was J/K. But it’s not even on CL right now (that I could find). I’m not bringin’ cash when I go look. But I will take some pics and post 'em for thoughts.

Oh yeah, it has ricer headlights/tail lights so I’ll be needin’ stock ones ASAP if I get this thing. Haha.

-TJ

Just buy it already :finger: Seriously with the 88-91’s, junkyards are your friends. Hell if you were back in PA I could probably find you a set of tails for cheap if not free. You mentioned about commuting in it. The majority of civics back then were only sold with the front speakers. Rears were usually a dealer upgrade. The good news is the wires for the rear speakers are already back there, you just gotta pull off the access panels and hook into them. If your really lucky in a junkyard you can find the factory rear speaker pods.

I’ll just do it straight flee-market style w/ some awesome 6x9 boxes in the back. Haha.

But yeah, the car will get a stereo for the commute (been DDin’ the 4Runner for mooooooooonths w/ no music = t3h suck). I have a 12 in a box w/ amp I got for a beat old exhaust a while back. I’ll put that in it. Haha, some thump and clear tails I’ll be the shit. :embarass:

-TJ

Okay… I’m buying it. :wink: I forgot to take my digi-cam w/ me but it’s really nothing too special to look at. Black, pretty clean for being a '90, sitting nicely on H&R springs & 4 way adj. Tokicos (I know not nearly the ‘best’ setup but fine for a D&D and very occasional AX car) with '00 (I think they’re 00) Si wheels. It has halo headlights and some clear w/ black background tails. Not the most horendous rice I’ve ever seen… but they’re gonna go for sure. I’m just hoping to find somebody to trade me their stock ones + beer for my super duper ones. Primary objective right now: find a good trans for it.

-TJ