94 Altima Timing Chain??? so i need help,

Okay, so my sister has a 94 altima with just over 220,000km’s

and theres a weird nosie at 2500rmp, and she took it to a shop before they even told me about it, now they have like $500 of labor from doing like nothing to it.

but anyways they said it’s either the upper or lower timing chain, so now my question is, would it just be better to find a new motor and swap it in?

and how much would a new motor be, it’s a 2.4L so thats just a KA24DE right? would one from a 240 fit (just because soo many ppl seem to have them for sale) or is that a different ka?

the price is about $3500 at this shop, it’s a autopro repair place, i’m getting a quote at a place where i alwasy take my skyline to, because they do good work and are way cheaper than most other places

but what would you guys do? get it reapaired?, not repair it and sell it?, swap a new motor into it???

any help would be awesome,

damn i just wish they had talked to me first instead of taking it to this shop because then we wouldn’t be out $500 for practicaly nothing

Ouch, Timing always sucks…

And no, you cant use a 240SX KA24DE, i cant remeber the exact list of things you’d need to do for it but they arent the exact same (you’d need a 240sx ECU to make it run right, and then you’d have to get it reflashed to make it work with the Altima components).

My suggestion is to hunt down a Altima Motor or even buy one from a Nissan Dealer, those might be cheaper than doing the chains, however doing the chain isnt that hard, i have the shop manual for it and besides getting the accessories outta the way and finding a lift to do it, it really isnt that hard but the parts might be costly.

In the end, 3500 or so isnt unheard of, but you might want to shop around, see if you can get a quote from the dealer, and other shops…

the 240 sits front to back( i believe) and the altima is left to right, i am assuming that has a big part for them not working

The Altima engine is transverse and the 240 engine is longitudinal, so I dont think they would be easily interchangeable.

Is the timing chain job $500 or $3500? Most shops were charging $700-900 to do the timing chain on the 240. The dealer was around $1100 I think.

How is the engine otherwise? Does it burn oil? Get a compression check…

For $3500 you might as well swap in an SR.

The car needs a Timing Chain Tensioner replacement, the weird noise can be the cause of vibrations from the belt and connecting parts.