95 F350, what to look for?

I’m having a pain of a time finding the $10-15k truck I want, and I really need a truck that can pull 10-14k lbs. So I’ll get a rust bucket then I’ll have time to be even more picky than I’m being now! yay.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/2432026192.html

I went out to look at it today, it’s actually sitting in a transmission shop parking lot… went out, poked around it unbothered… Looks pretty decent minus the inside tires on the rear are bald, and one has holes/cracks in it which you can see the fibers.

I called the guy first to find out where it was…
and he said it’s not starting, which was very kind of him to NOT put in his craigslist ad.

Not starting aside, I think it’s a decent deal.
Has the 7.3L powerstroke, he said it’s an auto 3speed transmission… but I’m pretty sure the diesels only came with 4 speed autos.

Any inputs on what to look for generally?
Any tips on what the engine may be?
I looked it up and it generally seems to be an easy fix.
I’m going to call him up tomorrow and tell him if he can get it to start, he’s got a sale (after some haggling of course). Probably some starter fluid or something may get it to go… Provided it’s cranking (which he said it is).

Edit; Don’t forget… in his ad “runs great”
what does that mean?

Come look at mine :slight_smile: 2000 GMC sierra SLT(every option) 2500HD 6.0 with 111,000 miles Tow PKG!

NEW!! exhaust manifolds and all hardware, True dual exhaust with magna flows and 4 1/2" tips, new tie rods+ends, front + rear rotors and pads, Cold air intake, Pulgs and wires, oil+filter, dick cepek 16x10 wheels with 285 tires (also have stock wheels and tires), and more i can’t think of right now lol… All that was put on in the last 900 miles :slight_smile: Its not up for sale but offer something close to $10,000 and we can talk…

Very nice, but they can only pull around 11k IIRC.
Looking for diesel too, I think those 6.0s are gas…

Yes its gas and not sure what it can pull but has a great power… Was just throwing it out as a option and was thinking about selling it.

The engine is a 7.3 turbo diesel (international). At 300,000 miles you might be pushing the limits of that engine. Could be somthing as cheap as a lift pump or could be the injection pump. Make sure it doesnt have an air intake heater too, if it does you want to use silicone instead of starting fluid, so you dont blow the thing sky high… Heres some tech manuals: http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-08.php
Also, Trans should be an E4OD which is an overdrive tranny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-GMC-Sierra-2500hd-2500-HD-Duramax-4wd-4x4-chevy-/200624535920?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb6277970

sorry I don’t know much about ford trucks.

If I was going to purchase a truck it wouldnt be one from this area,too many rot boxes and plow trucks. Look on ebay,I narrowed the search results and came up with a lot of decent trucks within your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150624434816&viewitem=

don’t use either… ever. You want some sort of lube when starting up. Just use silicone. There could be water in the fuel filter, the glow plugs could be shot ext ext. If you need anything hit me up with a PM I works at zee ferd dealer.

thanks guys.

ooooooh.
But it’s to my understanding, if it does start and run… and sounds pretty normal whatever causes it to not start 100% of the time should be relatively cheap correct?
I’ve heard many problems with the CPS causing stuff like this… along with glow plugs/wires, water in filter, or bacteria in the fuel tank/lines. although I did open the fuel cap and it didnt smell like ass, so i think the fuel is fine :stuck_out_tongue:

Could be a Glow Plug module(relay) that’s causing the no-start, if you’re lucky. Just because the fuel doesn’t smell like ass doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s good. Most of the fuel in NYS, at least WNY that I have seen is rated under or just at 45, which is a bare minimum for any Power Stroke. A Cetane booster and performance improver would be a must.

Even w/o GPs it would start @ 80* outside, no problem. Just crank the shit out of it.

There are 100 things that could be wrong, 50 of which could be free to fix.

could always crack a line, see if its getting fuel up yander. I’d hit it with some silicone and see what happens

Buy my quad cab, short bed, 4x4, 2003 Cummins 6spd manual for $14.5?

There’s a 96 Crew Cab Power Stroke SRW 4x4 here in the junkyard if you need parts. Not sure how cheap they’d be though.