99 Cherokee, Vibration in front end

I feel it in the fron end… doesnt start to vibrate untill around 40-45 mph, gets a little worse as speed increases and I really dont go above 55 when Im driving it… around 57 ish it does start to become a little more tolerable though. I feel it in the front end, as I slow to a stop coasting, I hear a flapping sound that slows with the speed of the truck where it is flapping quickly and the time between flaps increases as the jeep decreases. Im gonna be going for an inspection in a few days but jsut wanted to see if any guys have any experience on what this may be- meaning is this a common problem on jeeps that people ahve come across? Thanks

Also, the guy I bought it from said something about a bearing that spins freely in the front axle that he was gonna get fixed but hasnt had fixed yet- he said it wouldnt affect much, but maybe its getting worse or something?? Once again, a common problem? Thanks guys.

Could be death wobble, common problem on Cherokees. I get it about 45mph just have not looked into it yet because I am lifting the front another 2" soon with 32s.

-Front tires out of balance
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

you can search more on www.naxja.org and/or www.jeepforum.com

Thanks, yea I planned on lifting mine too… but Im afraid of it blowing up on me on the highway if I dont get it taken care of. Death wobble is the perfect description of it though…

vibrations are not a diagnosable online it could be a bearing, u joint,Tires,rim,the balance. Tons of things. We could take a look at it free of charge fir you.

that is not death wobble. the “death wobble” is enough to stop your car dead in the middle of the thruway. what he has sounds more like he threw a wheel weight or what not.

Seeing how we just had a snow storm…

Snow in the wheel?

i was going to say the same thing, its probably just that

Just got word about it… something about the front driveshaft where there are 2 Ujoints and a knuckle with a bearing in the middle. The bearing is spinning freely so Ill prob get that taken care of. The only place the guy knows of that handles that is Fleet Pride??? In cheektowaga. So thanks for the input guys, Ill prolly get it taken care of and move on :slight_smile:

Its probably the front axle u joints.And yea they will make a flopping noise.The connect to the front wheel bearing so that was what the person was talking about.It you can hear them and its vibrating its time to fix it.Its pretty involved if you havent done them before.I cant remember if the axle will fit through the steering knuckle or if you have to pull it off.But the brakes and the wheel bearing will have to come out to get the axle out to put a u joint in it.