Jeep- 55MPH shake

My girlfriend has a '95 Jeep Cherokee… It WAS shaking very violently before. The wheel bearing was shot. I replaced it today. Notable improvement.

It drives totaly smooth, and doesn’t make any excessive roadnoise, except from 55MPH to about 60MPH, it shakes. Go any faster, or any slower, and it rides perfectly smooth again. Tire pressures are all uniform across the board. Tire wear is even, and we tried rotating the tires.

Other than that 5 MPH range, it drives and rolls like silk. The wheel bearing WAS contributing to a ton of roadnoise, and vibration at all speeds above 30MPH, but with that fixed, no roadnoise, and virtually no vibration, EXCEPT at 55MPH to 60MPH.

Any ideas what this is from?

Mileage on the Jeep is just over 100k.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like “Death Wobble” it may need an alignment and make sure to check the front end out for any loose suspension parts. Most people explain death wobble as “I thought the jeep was going shake itself apart”

Tire out of balance

if your tread sucks and is worn down this will happen. or worn unevenly.

Tires have about 8 months on them. Shit jea. Tons of tread.

I actually am going to go with The first guess, especially after I was told that she hadn’t had an alignment since she’s had the truck, in over 2 years.

And with all the curbs she rolls over in that fucker. Lol.

alignment doesn’t usually cause a wobble fwiw

usually i’d look towards
a. balance
b. bent wheel(s)
c. bad axles

but if you said even with the rotate it didnt help, then check
a. axles
b. front suspension pieces
c. tire(s) out of round/lateral runout

try taking it to a goodyear and ask for a free alignment check…they should road test the car first and once its in, shake everything down for you…

maybe even tell them the details and see if you can eek out a free diagnostic…

Alignment never causes a wobble.

Get your tires balanced first.

correct however a improper alignment can cause feathering and cupping which will give u the shake. run ur habds over the tires does it feel really choppy or is it smooth

Update…

It has an intermittent death shake now.

It is not a constantly occuring problem. It’ll drive perfectly smooth, then out of completely nowhere it’'ll shake like someone trying to shake a glass bottle of ketchup… It will do that for about 5-10 seconds, then stop shaking, except for a slight vibration.

Again, all this is ONLY 55-60MPH zone. Drive smooth as hell at lower speeds, and even faster than that.

It’s becoming a severe problem though. There is no play in any wheels or anything, and the violent shake came out of NOWHERE today.

Ideas so it’s not going to a shop blind and have them racking up a giant bill on diagnosis.

Edit- Also, just checked the tires, no excessive wear on any of them. Nothing abnormal.

anything caked in the wheels or anything?

Nah, all clear.

The thing that is REALLY throwing me for a loop is how it is so intermittent. That is what I don’t understand, and also so speed sensative. It doesn’t happen at ALL at any other speeds.

Also not sure if it is related, but getting clicksat slow speeds while turning now and again, but it’s from all over. Before it was front pass side axel, then it’ll sometime click what sounds like rear driver side when backing up.

could be drive shaft, the yoke could have worn out.

:wstupid:

try pulling off the wheels and cleaning the hub/wheel mating surfaces. a little bit of corrosion build up can throw shit all outta wack.

theres u joint for the front wheels right?any codes thorwn maybe a tranny code

u joints like joe said…

jeeps have those annoying front axle u-joints…

Doesn’t sound like death wobble, that happens at lower speeds and is so violent you don’t try to go faster.

Although, it being so intermittent… your steering stabilizer may be on it’s way out.

I’d say either the tires arent properly balanced or the driveshaft is out of balance.

i have a wrangler and it shakes a little bit between 55-60 also but only on accelleration so im almost positive mines my driveshaft

motor mounts ?? trans mount ?? U-joint ??

Steering stabilizer was blown. replaced that. Still no fix.

It helped stave off the shakes and the overall ride was smoother, but it still ended up happening.

It is very death wobble-ish. Smooth roads, no death wobble. Hit a bump at speed, BOOM next thing you know you’re bouncing all over the inside of the car.

Also got the wheels balanced.