Baffled and Confused (2006 F150)

Earlier on (18-20 months ago) I had some issues with tire shake / vibration when I installed the aftermarket wheels and tires. After some time, that seems to be all but gone. No real solution, just gone. Here’s something new…I think.

Last week sometime was driving down Rt 20 on my way to an appointment and front end started to shake, around 45 mph. Pretty noticeable. Tried putting it in neutral, no change. Applied brakes, no change but felt a little choppy. Drove down Clinton Street toward Elma and almost seemed to get worse, right around 45mph. I didn’t push it much harder than that. Drove with flashers on. Went a couple more miles, turned left, seemed to disappear. Nothing since then.

Dropped my buddy off at his new job this morning. Drove from Derby to OP to Walden / Harlem. No issue. Drove to Kaisertown, back to Depew, fine. Drove from Depew to Colvin / 290 area around noon, down the 290. Nothing. On my way out to Lakeview this afternoon, same thing on Rt 20 around the stadium. Flashers on, didn’t want to push it past 45. Got to my appointment off RT 20 / Lakeview, no brake smell, not hot, everything looked normal. Went home, about 2-3 miles. Drove just fine.

Put it on the lift when I got home. Checked:

-Lug nuts
-Suspension (lower ball joints, idler arms, upper control arm, sway bar, sway bar end links, etc.
-Spun tires, no unusual noises. Nothing appeared to be “out of round”.
-Rocked tires side to side and up and down with bar. Passenger lower ball joint had a little play (which I knew 2 weeks ago) but nothing worth considering urgent.
-Sway bar end links were done maybe two months ago, so they are new.
-Looked at all bushings / bolts on all suspension components. Nothing.
-No noise from wheel bearings.
-Small noises from CV joints but most of that is the rubber boots squeaking.
-Greased lower ball joints 2-3 weeks ago when I changed the oil.

Off the lift, drove it around 3-4 miles around the block, 45mph +, nothing.

Nothing is jumping out at me and the only info I found on the interwebs referred to possibly an electronic ABS issue or front 4 x 4 driveshaft being out of round / true. I can describe the vibration as if one, or actually both, of the tires were oblong. The steering wheel does not jerk from side to side as if it were a warped (I know that’s the wrong term) rotor. I spun the driveshaft manually and had no one around to look at it at speed. Anyone have any suggestions? Much appreciated (and no poor F.O.R.D. humor).

Did you put a jack under the co trol arm when checking ball joints?

Doesnt the suspension need to be loaded

Sounds like a driveshaft issue. Like ajoint is sticking binding.

I know some of the super duty suffer from death wobble due to alignment issues, but that is much easier to repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up in the air on the lift. Grabbed top / bottom of tire and I can feel the play.

Familiar with the death wobble. Never had it on my F250. This starts around 40ish. It’s the intermittant part that’s confusing.

What im saying is i believe you need to check the ball joints by jacking up under the control arm in order to load the suspension while you do the shake down.

Otherwise you wont get play because the springs put so much pressure on the control arms.

At least this is what i believe you need to do, although im not a professional mechanic, but one of my older vehicles had no play up on a lift, had to put the jack under the control arm to load the suspension.

• Updated - - -

Dont know how to embed.

[video]https://youtu.be/SkHeDQomX0k[/video]

I’m just doing it how my mechanic buddy showed me. With no weight / load on the ball joint, it moves easier. All things considered, I’d be surprised if this was the cause. Had bad ball joints in the past, no shake.

Tie rod ends?

Any time I’ve had this problem it’s never been caused by ball joints but I’ve seen it be caused by loose/damaged U joints in the front axle as well as the driveshaft, and occasionally by CVs but usually when it’s these issues the symptoms are worse under acceleration and might not go away in neutral.

edit: I do recall a tsb about F150 rear parking brake shoes dragging slightly and causing a vibration at 40-50mph. I’d break yours apart again and make sure they releasing fully and not binding due to the cable etc…

I would be looking at the u joints and steering dampener if you have one.

i’d be looking in to a for sale sign

Maybe I can sell it and buy an AMG so everyone would be certain I’m a douchbag.

• Updated - - -

Definitely not coming from the rear.

• Updated - - -

Seem fine.

pull the front shaft and drive it

Considered that too.

Does it start to feel better between 65-70? The 45 mph is a trigger for wheel balance. You could have thrown a weight, or hit a pot hole etc…

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1159374-speed-specific-vibration-between-47-50-mph.html

might be worth a read…

The interesting part though is that after you turned left it went away. I would guess one of the U-joints is binding as mentioned before especially with it being intermittent. I would check the boots on the front half shafts and see if one isnt torn or is binding up if you rotate the wheel while up on a lift.

I had something similar going on with my truck recently although it it’s a 2004 gmc.

After some searching I found it was being called “mini death wobble” and would come and go at certain speeds after a bump or for no reason at all. What made it more perplexing is that I just had my truck aligned 2 weeks ago and was told everything was in good shape steering wise.

in my research everything was related to pitman and idler arm issues. Sure enough when I pulled them out they were tight in one direction but had distinct and limited wobble in the other direction. I am not sure it I cured it but my first test drive went well last night.

Hope it helps.

No, turning didn’t change it. Boots seem fine, not saying there couldn’t be something internal that’s not visible. I didn’t push it past 45 ish. Thing is still the intermittent part. Bad wheel balance would be constant. All weights appear to be in place. Just drove it this morning up to 65, no issues. Didn’t hit any bumps or pot holes, smooth roads. Will check out the link.

Alignment was done maybe 6 months ago. Doesn’t pull in any way. I may have to investigate this area further.

This.

Make me an offer.