a SERIOUS coilover review thread.

Seriously.

I’m in the market for coilovers and there’s talk of every make under the rising sun but nothing seriously reviewed.

Megan Racing
D2
Tein
Cusco
JIC
DDrug (* this is what I want)
GAB
Tanabe
Kei Office
etc.

Please make serious reviews…seriously.

Don’t forget Silk Road… which is what I want. I’ve heard great things about them and the DDrugs. BTW, the reviews ARE out there, check Zilvia and other sites, plenty of people with amateur reviews.

tanabe, cusco, olhins, kei office

if you can afford them

ive heard lots of good about tanabe dd

Ohlins doesn’t make a set for our cars, or Nissan’s in general…

You would need to custom fabricate the brackets to hold it in place…

TEIN SUPER DRIFTS

Great suspension overall. In the softest setting very good ride on the streets. The hardest setting = very STIFF ride, havent had them out on the race track yet so cant comment how well they perform on it but on the streets they are awesome. 16 hard/soft settings, easy height adjustment. Build quality is great, green anodized look is pimp and EDFC is an added bonus.

Worth every penny in my opinion.

Silk Road RM/A8
8/6 spring rates
8-way adjustable
Pillow-ball upper front strut mounts for camber adjustment

I love these. On the road on full soft they feel fine, I personally have no problems with them.

Had them on full hard at the track and had a few fillings loosened, handled great, made throwing the car feel really easy. No need to worry about wallowing from the weight transfer.

Inverted struts means damper adjustment is on the bottom of the fronts and top of the rears.

Got them from MA Motorports out of Maryland. GB thread on FA sold me.

HKS Hyper-D

10kg/mm in front
9kg/mm in rear

13-way damper adjustable
height adjustable
camber plate
pillowball mount in front & rear
inverted strut on front.

Theses coilovers are VERY hardcore, it’s for drift or track…

But for the street, they’re still usable. Only bad point I could say from them is even at softest setting, its still stiff…

Good point is they have progressive coilsprings, so that mean even if the road aint in good shape, you don’t feel EVERY hole, only big one.

About the feeling, its soooo nice, the car handle VERY great.

They’re only avalaible in japan tho… =|

Ohlins doesn’t make a set for our cars, or Nissan’s in general…

You would need to custom fabricate the brackets to hold it in place…[/quote]

Ohlins makes quite a few different coilovers for the GT-R.

I found this with some searching. :

http://www.autolandyamagata.co.jp/cgi-bin/news/aly_parts.cgi

any thoughts on the new megan track series coilovers?

http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=424

http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/coilover%20I2.jpg

http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/COILOVER%20II2.JPG

10/12 spring rates seems to be the only difference. which is pretty damn hardcore. may be a little stiff for street use, but then again, that’s what you want isn’t it John…stiff…

Megan = Apex’i rebranded?

10 on the front? or the other way 'round? Either way, Tanabe Pro DD are 10/8 and Tein Super Drift are also 10/8… Benson from SileightyMania drives his DDs on the street in Cali and says they aren’t too bad…

I will not drive my weaksuace 8/6 in Toronto… f*ck that.

Can you explain? I’m a little hazy on spring rates and how they feel… I want something that will be at least as comfortable as stock, yet good enough for track. I’ve heard the Silk Roads make a good compromise between the two.

Well, indeed the SRoads are pretty comfy, but if you want stock quality you’d be better off with a spring/strut combo* As with anything marked on the box ‘For off-road use only’ you can only expect certain creature comforts. I do find myself dodging man-holes and looking out for bumps to avoid, but if I need to go over them, I can and not worry too much about breaking them or a weaker part of the car. Or hitting my head on the ceiling.

In conclusion, if you can justify spending $1700CAD on coilovers, then SRoads are a great bang for your buck. 8)

*(no offence to all with such setups, to each their own… and they aren’t that bad anyway)

edit: I don’t really know much about spring rates either… Just that the numbers being spewed are in “kg/mm” The higher the number, the stiffer. Oh, and Toronto roads suck… Potholes and sewers and pedestrians everywhere… shudder

i personally cant complain about the D2’s for the price we got them for…

i think at the current price point they can be out done rather easily, that is D2’s fault for being fagatrons.

megans are not rebranded Apexi’s.

like the current trends throughout all sectors of retail, companies are focused on building their brands, not their products.

Megan makes nothing, Apexi makes some things but also outsources a great deal of the production on their less specialized items. the same is true of greddy and others. if you think everyone has there own depertment making something like rocker arm stoppers you are dense.

the company that makes Megan’s coilovers and the Apexi EXV’s is in Taiwan and has a decent rep for coilovers. they build for several other brands as well throughout the world.

Section is the manufacturer for a variety of coilover brands, they make silk roads and i have heard Zeal? Section is reputed to be a premium producer making everything in Japan.

Tein has a huge product line up and makes both good coilovers and lesser coilovers.

i HIGHLY doubt, and would even put money on it, that D-DRUG does not make their own stuff.

you dont walk into the industry making your own gear and target the mid - lower range of the market. it just doesnt happen.

having only used D2’s i would say that their springs are shit and their dampers are average. their aluminum hardware is tits because it is so much lighter. i bet you save 15lbs or more with D2’s over megans or anything else. alot of cars use aluminum suspension components from the factory so dont give me bullshit about strength.

the most important part is the post-purchase support.

if you cannot get your coilovers serviced or warrantied without incurring significant costs then dont buy them in the first place.

http://www.autolandyamagata.co.jp/img/cgi_img/o37143510_1.jpg

These are for an S13. The dampers are from Ohlins and the springs are from Swift.

http://www.bcec.com.tw/

this is the company that makes Megan and Apexi EXV’s

keep in mind that the EXV is Apexi’s enty level coil

i can get d2’s, megans, teins, jic’s and kei office’s probably cheaper then anyone in toronto…I will always put my hand on the megans though because of the following reasons.

price: $1200 cdn shipped, is clearly the best value for money which is what 9.9/10 people on this board are looking out for.

cust. service: Everyone that has ever had small problems with megan products always gets it solved rapidly because of the great respect they have gained for our market. They are super efficient.

product: no complaints at all so far, yes they are the same as the apexi’s.
It is for sure better then the d2’'s and the tein he/ ha series for sure…those are the other two popular ones that are anywhere close to this price.

shipping: very reasonable , and nothing takes over 7 days.

anyone else have any other input?

I do agree the Megan’s are probably the best bang for the buck.

Looking at the D2’s and Megan’s Sidebyside I cant tell the difference…

They look the same, same colars, same threaded dampers, same upper mounts etc.

But like Varun said If I were to do it again Megan would
be my choice just do to the fact that Varun can get them
for a smokin’ deal and the customer service is amazing.

I do agree the Megan’s are probably the best bang for the buck.

Looking at the D2’s and Megan’s Sidebyside I cant tell the difference…

They look the same, same colars, same threaded dampers, same upper mounts etc.

But like Varun said If I were to do it again Megan would
be my choice just do to the fact that Varun can get them
for a smokin’ deal and the customer service is amazing.[/quote]

D2’s are aluminum construction where as the Megans are steel contruction… that’s a fairly major difference…

Shock body’s are steel vs aluminum… so are the mounting points, the collars, and I dont know about the camber plate…