Aeromotive AFPR help!

I put my Aeromotive AFPR on my 1G tonight, and I’m having problems with it. I’m out of ideas. Boost leak tested it before I installed it, stock FPR works perfect.

First start up, bogged down and stalled. I upped the pressure to 45 or so, and it ran fine. Lowered the pressure down to 37-38, and the idle was fucked up. I adjusted the BISS, and got it to idle better (it’ll run now) but it stutters under driving.

It has an Autometer Sport Comp gauge on the regulator.

My vaccum dropped from 18-19 at idle to 15-16.

This is my first time using a AFPR, as I only had a 190 on my 2G. Car is mostly stock, minus an 3" exhaust, Supra TT pump, K&N, MBC.

Any ideas here? I’d like to get this thing running right by tonight.

Thanks,

what is stock fuel pressure setting.
did you start that one at stock???

Stock is 37.5 PSI, that’s why I was trying to get it between 37-38.

you sure that is the correct fuel pressure? i know for 2g’s the fuel pressure is about 3 bar(44-45psi)

other than the pressure being set wrong, that is really the only thing i can think of that would cause your car to run weird after installing the fpr.

Yes, I am sure that is correct. Defected AFPR?

how does the regulator raise fuel pressure, if it does? is it a 1-1 setup? so base fuel press is at say 40 psi. every lb of boost it would see, it would raise fp equallly. example, stock 40. at 10lbs of boost, fp should be 50. Im not sure if dsms use a rising rate fpr. need to know that. Myabe u got the wrong regulator.

No, it’s a 1:1 riser, and yes, it should work fine on my car.

oh yeah, as mentioned above, you are wrong on ur base fuel pressure. 2nd gen dsm’s run a base of 42-45 range, 1st gens run 36-38.

so up it between 42-45, and see what it does.

he said its a 1st gen so his fuel pressure isent that bad

look here, as i ate crow as i thought u had 2nd gen…

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-specifications.htm#Stockfuelpressure

so they are saying the stock fuel pressure at idle should be 27lbs… but if you take off the regulator port, and block it off, you set fuel to the 36-38 range and leave it at that… thats if im reading the graph correctly… But dont make sense, b/c if he was at 45 base, and then added boost to it, you would think it would have fouled the motor out bc that is almost double than what this chart says

1g - 38
2g - 42 (even tho 2g’s operate better at 38)

the problem he’s having is that the gauge on the regulator is saying 38 but the car is stalling, rough idle, backfiring while driving because the fuel pressure is too low. it’s either the gauge is off or the regulator is fucked up because he shoulndt see that on stock 450s until down to the 20psi range base pressure. but what the hell do i know

DSM’s suck!!!

dont use the gauge on it, use your own mech f/p gauge and be sure.

um…a “mechanical” gauge would have to be mounted in the engine bay…thats where his gauge is

slap the stock fpr back on, and test fp w/ the stock fpr. test drive it, if it runs good, then park, slap aftermarket one back in, and set to same specs as oem fpr. If it shits the bed, then call and bitch to the company u got it from. just make sure u use the same fp gauge for both readings.

that’s what he did…cept i think he got it used, he’s trying another afpr now

how do you know his guage is working properly ???

read my first post i said the gauge is probably the problem but the way you wrote it it sounded like you wanted him to use a different kind of gauge like in dash or something

dash -???wtf you talking about???i want him to verify the pressure with another guage on the stock and the adj just to make sure