Aged tires

Worth the watch

I must work at a strange Sears where we throw ours out after 4 years?

They need to put another news story out though to go with that.
People are concerned about buying old tires, what about the ones that won’t buy new tires when they really need them?
Worn through to the steel belts, telling me they will replace it in the next couple months before winter hits?

wow, brings new light to my eyes. Considering a couple years back this actually happened to me and I thought nothing of it but a cheaply made tire. (tread completely ripped off, and bought the tire brand new) interesting.

I’ve seen it before. Worth the watch.

interesting info…never would have thought about that

+1

Good post

good watch…I can remember rollin on the old bias ply tires

i’ll take it with a grain of salt… I’m rollin on my NOS eagle GT’s mfg… 52nd week of 1991. seems most of those wrecked vehicals were vans and suvs. seems that handling of the vehical is the sub-cause. what about proper inflation? i’ve checked peoples tires that had 50lbs in them and on the flip side 20lbs.

Agreed for the most part.
Some old tires do infact lose a certain performance to them.
We had one tire we found a Michelin Pilot Sport that was 8 years old and solid as a rock, would have had next to no traction on it for the most part.
Dangerous? Can’t say, we tossed it.

People do need to learn how to maintain there tires more then just check the dates on them.

the thing that really makes me laugh about this is people are so worried about when the tires were made but yet no one checks there air pressure which causes just as many problems as buy tires that are 7 years old

and the other thing that people really need to start realizing is that most tire shops dont see the tires until they are already 6month to 1year old so you will never get a tire that is brand new

and just like bob said you can drive on tires that are that old and have no issues as long as you use your head and when you see any sort of cracking in the tire discard it

cool man. according to that report both sets of tires i have were made at the end of 2006

The only time I get anything in from within the last 6 months is a special ordered tire that wasn’t even in the warehouse, or a very popular design and size that they constantly make.

People come into work all the time with shot tires no tread on them weathered to shit cracks all over and they want it fixed because they “dont want to put a lot of money into the car” for various reasons, it’s old, it’s crappy etc. etc.

I’m sorry but to me just because my car looks like garbage doesn’t mean I want to die from shit-ass tires!

dude you dont have to tell me about that crap you see i work in a tire shop lol

I get the cheapest set I can find from pepboys. With my superior driving skill, it doesn’t matter if the tires are old or even if they blowout while driving 120mph, I got it under control. :smiley:

Adding to the comment more or less.