AGP cards... worth it???

yeah, so I have a radeon 9700 pro right now… would investing in a stronger AGP vid card be worth it? I’m not sure how much better/different PCIe and AGP are from one another… but I dont plan on upgrading my mobo for a while so what would you say?

the 9700 runs most everything very well I must say… but you can tell when ya start overloading it. Plus, alot of newer games will bring it to it’s knees unless everything is turned down a good deal (fear and oblivion for example) which sucks because who doesnt like eye candy, right?

what would you say would be a good upgrade (aka, something that I wont have to swap out in a year) that will do me good for a few years atleast? or is it not worth the waste of $$$?

AGP is old technology.All the games that are being released are going to bring any AGP cards to their knees. PCI-E 16 is the way to go if you plan on doing any gaming in the near future. The PCI-E is a serial based slot, has 16 buses for maximum through-put. I am in the same boat. I have a 256mb radeon card that is AGP and FEAR is kicking it’s ass. I would wait and change out the MB if you plan on having a kick-ass gaming system.

Next year, it will be hard to find any decent cards in AGP. Hell, prices will go up for AGP because all the new MoBos will support PCI-e

My AGP card runs everything that’s current perfectly. :tup::tup:

what are you running, fetter?

Not worth is PCI-E is the future.

AGP cards are expensive now and are not worth it if you’re into the new generation of gaming.

See,when I bought my motherboard (ASrock dual sata) it has both AGP and PCI-E which is sweet.

Recently I bought a X850XT for $160 at newegg,this card is comparable to the 6800 ultra,its PCI-E.Awesome deal,it’ll play anything out there.

Radeon X700 Pro it kicks alot of ass for me!

PCIe FTW

I have my 7800GT and it is very nice, I can run pretty much anything at fulls specs with little to no slow down.

If you are really worried about gaming, do what others suggested and get a new MB and vid card

AGP is fine if you don’t feel like doing a complete upgrade.

when you get around to changing out the MOBO, something else will come along, and you can do it all at once.

i pretty much agree with everything everyone has posted.

i always have this in mind about hardware - i always think about what software / applications i intend to run and then build my system around those needs. its kinda like cars in that sense - if you’re living in a place with lotsa twisties, get a car that is able to handle those twisties rather than a car with lotsa lean. Of course you could get a car / computer that can do everything, but there is a high price to pay.

If you are rebuilding, go PCI-E. If you don’t feel like doing that in the next 12 months, you can pick up a good card in AGP that will do you just fine for not a ton of money.

:word: