AIDS research

well i’m watchin the US open and a conversation came up about Tom Watson’s old caddie who died of Lou Gehrigs disease and we started talkin about how disease like that (ie. cancer, altzheimers, etc…) get a fraction of the funding that AIDS research gets. Now blood is tested over and over so its a snowballs chance in hell that you accidentally got aids. You pretty much have to do needle drugs or screw dirty ass ppl to get aids. um… why are we spending money on this shit and place other diseases, acutally mutations really since you can’t contract them, why do these things get less funding and attention?

granted aids does get rid of some of the “dirty” people, but people do contract aids that are “dirty”

A friend of a friend contracted aids while he was in the hospital because the donor of the blood he needed had aids. makes me wonder how this could happen but now this innocent guy has aids. There are quite a few many cases similar to this, or the kids that are born with aids as well.

:eek4: perfect example, the media led me to believe that shit like that was near impossible now a days… i hope his malpractice suit agst the hospital is making the rest of his life nicer.

still, % wise, AIDS is very low in the US compared to other countries… my point is, every single person i’ve ever met knows someone who has or had cancer… you’re the first person i’ve ever “known” who knew someone with AIDS.

(i’m an english major, so correct me if i’m wrong)

AIDS is a syndrome caused by a virus.

Cancer is a lump of cellular mutation(?)

So given the nature of each one, isn’t HIV/AIDS more able to have a vaccine?

As for getting rid of the dirty people? Imagine if your wife cheated on you with someone who had HIV, and then you got it from her. While that’s not how most people get it, it’s still a possibility.

so people that have sex are dirty?

none if it is going to be cured…money is in the medicine not the cure

:moon: Chris Rock!

nobody did anything to get cancer, it just happens

some” AIDS cases can be prevented

First part Yes you are correct. HIV Virus Causes AIDS.

Cancer = Abdnormal cells

The problem with HIV is the RNA complex of their shell. Its ever changing so its dman near imposisble to create a vaccination. The RNA code changing also means that HIV in LA is/can be different form the HIV virus in Philadelphia.

There is a procedure they were folling with in europe where they put you on a dialysis machine and as the blood goes into the machine its heated to I think 108 F and then cooled prior to reentering the body. I don’t know how far they got with it but their were supposedly a few successes from what I read.

so you guys think its a priority to “cure” aids before we “cure” cancer?

hahahahhaahha

tell that to all the smokers with big fucking tumors in their lungs…

or the drinkers with cancerous livers…

“nobody did anything”… :bowrofl:

for once I agree with you. :moon:

I work in a breast cancer research lab, and while no, we don’t get to play with boobies, I can attest that lots of money is invested in research, whether it be AIDS research or cancer research… Some of the world’s smartest people are working on the project daily.

Surprises me that no one mentioned that people don’t die from AIDS. It’s in the name… “Immune Dificiency Syndrome” (minus the “Acquired” part). The HIV virus doesn’t kill you. Instead, it doesn’t let your body kill those nasty viruses and diseases. Pneumonia is a common condition for an AIDS patient. :blah: :blah: :blah:

I mentioned it just not in an extended detail with what AIDS stood for and what it effects (though that was common knowledge)

true but i know, on a aquaintance to close friendship level:

5 breast cancer victoms (2 died)
1 ovarian cancer victom
2 leukemia victoms
1 with cancer in his thigh bone (@15-20 still not in remission)

:confused: i really can’t think of any that have lung or liver cancer