Alternator rebuild

Not sure where this belongs but where do you guys get your Alternator rebuilt?

The car is an S13 SR and it’s either me or my alternator but I’m seeing too little of a voltage on my EMS that I’m somehow convinced the Alternator isn’t doing its job. After my fan kicks in (Zirgo 16") I see the volt drop almost 1v (from about ~13ish to 12.3ish).

I don’t suppose it’s my wiring? Running a 0-ga wiring from trunk to the front. Can’t be the battery since it’s brand new bought a couple months ago (Optima Yellow top) :dunno:

I’m specifically looking for a place with

• A turnaround time of a few hours

• Close to Brampton/Mississauga

• Open Weekends

What kind of prices can I expect to see?

sorry boss , i dont know of anywhere that will do it in a few hours out there , but your best bet would be to find someone with an extra sr alternator, get it built and then swap it out , contact s13gg, i belive he was able to make a new KA alternnator fit on his SR with zero Modificaitions, i belive he just had to use a shorter belt, that would be your best bet , unless u wanna drive it to cambridge , i could have it done for u in a few hours

as far as price goes , anywhere from $80 to $150, while your at it get it upgraded, especially since you have a trunk mounted battery… power loss over distance… blah blah blah, i used to have the same issues when i had a trunk mounted battery…

another good idea would be to run a capacitor even if u dont have a big stereo

Thanks for the tips broseph. I’ll make sure on the upgrade.

I might do it in a few weeks when I have time off work. I guess anything with a turnaround time of a couple days I’m fine.

Price also seems decent (< $200)

I’ve read on the KA alts but dont think i want to do that (I believe the SR/KA uses different # of ribs on the pulleys) and I dont’ want to dick around with that. Thanks though.

I got one rebuilt at Mr.Alternator…they are at Dixe and 401. Took a few days, worked peachy

goldstone.
runny and st.clair
done drop of fin the moring pick up by 4pm

it could be your battery i had a yellow top and it sucked then i got a red top and worked fine goto part sourece they usally charge it for free and let you no if its the problem or not sometimes the yellow tops need to sit while the cars on for a while to charge

I say depending on price you might be better off buying a used one. Talk to Varun, he might have an alternator. Or check with some of the guys who are parting blown SR’s.

Anyone have an SR power steering belt?? hehe

fyi quest alternators are 125 amp, and fit with some minor messing about

I’ve looked into Quest alts. They don’t fit as easily on SRs and I’m not going to hack one in.

I took some readings (just went in the garage and turned the car on and stuff):

BATTERY - Car Off - 12.7v FAN OFF

EMS - Car Off - 12v FAN OFF
EMS - Car Off - 11v FAN ON
ALTERNATOR - Car Off - 12.76v FAN OFF (12.40v IGN ON, FAN OFF)
ALTERNATOR - Car Off - 12.10v FAN ON

EMS - Car On - 13.6v FAN OFF,
EMS - Car On - 12.8v FAN ON
ALTERNATOR - Car On - 14.24v FAN ON

Looks sorta normal so I don’t know if this even warrants a rebuild but at times I have seen, while coming home at work, I’ve seen the battery volt be around 12.1v-12.5v so that got me thinking into this whole rebuild deal.

Any ideas why my ECU is showing such low voltage?

Yea, the quest/villager alternators just need one of the holes drilled out to fit, on a KA

Edit: forgot this was for an Sr.