Who rebuilds alternators around here?

Ive tested both batteries - they came back 100%

I swapped out the voltage regulator for a new one - didn’t help.

My voltage has been screwy lately and my alternator is only 13 months old. It came back as having a bad diode according to the autozone test.

Buying a new OEM bosch is looking to set me back ~$260. It wouldn’t be a huge deal if I didnt have to fork over another $240 for labor since its a real pain in the dick to get out.

So, does anyone know of a place to rebuild it? I tried google and a phone call to NAPA but that went nowhere.

I know that when we I worked at the EA Napa being independent we would send out hard to replace alts to a local buffalo place, I believe was called Conte’s. This was normally for old cars, and construction/farm equipment though so I don’t know if they can help you.

D+W diesel on broadway

Scott…FYI, I’ve had folks specifically ask me to replace just the regulator, with mixed (mostly bad) results. If it’s truly a charging issue, new/reman is the way to go.

Dell Electric in Hamburg

I’d say Dell Electric too. They rebuilt the starter-generator on my John Deere and the alternator on my Civic and both worked great.

Thanks, I’ll call them and see what type of pricing they do. If its reasonably cheaper, I’ll go with that.

For reelz -

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/GrMKmLDMoYVDNHtYaiuAwDqZnNhzs1XPS4oDgH7SaN3NNbpUXGuwyBeRHLioY9I9QcAeR0J_Ai7NSn0zUTB__HxhNeMV0rFgpUfRU-LHj8JNVzfqMzDFM7mRO90nI1-cTtUCOZT3_N6DRoM6lDmVePee110=s90-c

It works great as an almost permanent solution.

Use my garage if ya need tools/space to get it out…drive my car in the downtime.

No schmuck at NAPA, or anywhere, will want to help you with tips or info on rebuilding. That’s the sad truth. Autozone tested it while still in the vehicle? That doesn’t rule out wiring/corrosion or faulty signals. Unfortunately the best test will be a bench test, especially if the battery is in the back. Check voltage right out of the alternator if possible, or resistance through the cables. I assume the voltage pickup is in the ECU or one of the BCM’s.

Honestly, a new alternator is probably in your future after watching the vid.

What makes you think its bad? From what I see in the video, its operating about how I would expect, but around .5v down at warm idle.

I’m not terribly familiar with how that vehicles alternator senses a load, but just about all vehicles turn the field off to the alternator under certain conditions. Generally they are looking for a warm engine, low load, low RPM, and sufficient voltage. If you touch the throttle after the voltage dips down, does it come back up? What about if you engage A/C or defrosters?

How old is the battery in the car? Without knowing anything else about the car, my money is on the battery being a little on the discharged side. Alternators make terrible battery chargers. I’d throw the battery on a 2A charge overnight and see if the voltage when it dips down comes up to something more reasonable, like 12.5-12.6V… Then again, it could just be perfectly fine and the gauge isn’t terribly accurate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270803723659

No tax and no core.

They rebuilt one for one of my diesel Rabbits years ago- it was less that $80 which was cheaper than a “new” one from the parts stores, none of which could get me one in less than a week. They were really quick too.

D&W diesel on broadway or neutrino (spelling?) auto on tonawanda off niagara st. i kno they rebuild all kinds of electrical motors so i dont see why they couldnt do an alternator