Am I going to be sued for copyright infringement???????

Well I open this large manilla envelope from Adelphia this evening expecting something cool. Then I read it, and it sates that I have infringed upon some copyright laws because NBC Universal has recognized that a copy of Doom was downloaded through my account.

Now, I personally didn’t download this copy, but I found out my new roommate did download it via torrent. This happened on Christmas night at 11pm, and I wasn’t even here that night, I was home in Utica spending Christmas with my family.

Now if this goes any further, am I going to get fucked because the account is in my name, even though I didn’t personally download the file? Shit, I didn’t even know it was downloaded till today.

Wierd I’ve never heard of the policy to send a letter first. But your the second person today I’ve heard that has gotten these. :bloated:

that sucks. i am sure you can prove you were not there if need be…

scan the letter and edit out your personal info…

I got one of them about a year ago, it was a torrent too. It showed every instance of someone trying to download the file from my roomate, i looked thru the 100 or so pages and it never showed anything about me doing any downloading. So it seems they are more concerned about you sharing, rather than getting Nothing ever came of it, but I would do some deleting of things jsut to be on the safe side.

Deleting? Better send your HDD to krazyjon. More like destroying.

this is off another forum i visit,I never use torrents because of this.I use DC++ and only download from people outside the USA.

It’s a 5 page letter stating why I received this notice and what could happen. ie. they can sue me, etc, etc. The next was a 2 page letter that stated what movie “I” downloaded. I’ll try to scan that in later.

Do you guys think that I will be held responsible because my name is on the account? Or will they go after my roommate if I tell them it was him?

Go out, purchace the movie on DVD. Write a letter back and tell them to shove it. :slight_smile:

Looked into it for you, first letter is a warning. If you are caught again then movie’s publisher will probably sue you.

In otherwords, don’t share any movies.

gov’t crackdown comes to nyspeed

wow

Use peergaurdian or something in the future too!

What torrent site does he use, gotta make sure Im more careful around there!

It sounds like this is just a warning letter, give it to your rommie and tell him to stop or its his ass!

i will say it again

irc > *

torrents are ghey like rubicant

they dont have shit on you… well they have the download going to your ip…tell me you have an unsecured wireless connection :slight_smile:

call me and i will help defend you… get a lawyer… I’ll do a forensic preservation for free… dont mess with your computer… if you want me to do any anlysis… ie looking for signs of the download to exonerate you…this will cost you money though for this is what i do for a living and shit aint cheep :slight_smile: i bill at 300 an hour… but you wont get billed that much for i’d be doing this on the side.

if they go after anybody, it will be you. but that doesn’t mean that you can’t go after your roommate.

That’s scary. I say counter sue for spying on you!

yes… they will go after you… thats why you need me… cover your ass now… im in town. here is your opportunity. pm me… if you have a forensic preservation, and litigation comes up… your one more step ahead of the game… if you did download it, i will find it so think about pm’ing me before you do

oh shit!! :eek:

not another person… wtf. scan the letter if you can…

:word: http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443

and put it on your friend’s pc right away…

Here is the letter… I couldn’t get it to scan directly and upload to the site so I just copy and pasted it.

Hash: SHA1

Re: Unauthorized Use of NBC Universal Properties Notice ill: 14-3314568

26 Dec 2005 04: 10:02 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

Please be advised that NBC Universal and/or its subsidiary and affiliated companies (collectively, NBC Universal) are the owners of exclusive rights protected under copyright law and other intellectual property rights in many motion pictures and television programs, including the title(s) listed below (the NBC Universal Properties). NBC Universal diligently enforces its rights in its motion pictures

It has come to our attention that Adelphia is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file “swapping” or other similar activities) of the NBC Universal Property or Properties listed below, or portiones) thereof, is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by Adelphia or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from Adelphia.

This unauthorized copying and distribution constitutes copyright infringement under Section 106 of the U.S. Copyright Act. Depending upon the type of service Adelphia is providing to this IP address, it may have legal and/or equitable liability if it does not expeditiously remove or disable access to the motion picture(s) listed below, or if it fails to implement a policy that provides for termination of subscribers who are repeat infringers (see 17 U.S.C. 512).

Despite the above, NBC Universal believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The undersigned has a good faith belief that use of the NBC Univers_l Property or Properties in the manner described herein is not authorized by NBC Universal, its agent or the law. The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of NBC Universal with respect to this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or of NBC Universal’s positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

All user correspondence regarding this notice should be sent to: ?customeri d= 14&commhash=fd3 bd2665084 24bad 183 99f96c5 5 9b30

ISPs may use this email address,

mailto: [email=“antipiracy@nbcuni.com”]antipiracy@nbcuni.com?subject=RE%3A%20DMCA %20N otification %20Notice %20ID%3A %20 14%2D3314568, or the contact info below regarding this notice. Please make sure the Notice ID is in the subject line of any correspondence.

Very truly yours,

, Aaron Markham

Director of Internet Anti-Piracy, Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations NBC UNIVERSAL

100 Universal City Plaza 2160-7E Universal City, CA 91608

tel. (xxxx

fax (xxxx

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com ** For any correspondence regarding this case, please send your emails to

[email=“antipiracy@xxxxxxxx.com”]antipiracy@xxxxxxxx.com and refer to Notice ID: 14-3314568. If you need immediate assistance or if you have general questions please call the number listed above.

Title: Doom

Infringement Source: BitTorrent

Initial Infringement Timestamp: 25 Dec 2005 23:11:09 GMT

Recent Infringment Timestamp: 25 Dec 2005 23:11:09 GMT

Infringer Username:

Infringing Filename: Doom 2005 TC kvcd Jamgood(TUS Release)

Infringing Filesize: 771493729

Infringers IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xxx

Infringers DNS Name: amherst-xxxxxxxxxx.kntnny.adelphia.net

Infringing URL: 24.48.83.225:6881\Doom 2005 TC kvcd Jamgood(TUS Release)

lol, that sucks

Well,the letter is asking you to stop downloading/sharing and tell them you did so…lol.

Its kinda like turning yourself in.I personally would put the letter somewhere and just forget about it,thats all I would do.