Amherst Gyms?

So I am getting back into the gym, but I don’t want to get suckered into a shitty gym that I won’t want to keep going to so I want first hand advice from people who go there.

I’ve driven by quite a few and just seeing who goes to where and how it is. Would prefer one open til at least midnight or later. (Best Fitness, World Gym or whatever its called now are a few I’ve driven by)

Info looking for:
–how busy
–how clean
–cost/deals
–whats included
–long term agreement or just monthly

I’ve called a few and they all always make it out to be the best gym available. Then pressure you to try to sign a 2 year deal where I’d much rather be month to month if I end up not liking it.

Appreciate the info guys. Thanks

i go to golds on union and wherle(sp). As for it being busy… it all depends on what time of the day. mon-fri 8am-4pm usually quiet. 5pm-10pm usually busy, seeing that everyone is out of work. Weekends are usually busy in the mornings.

It is a very clean place. That actually just finished a complete remodel which was going on for about a year or so. It is amazing how it turned out.

As for payment, im not too sure. I pay monthly, but at a VERY cheap rate unlike most members.

You can do monthly and yearly as far as i know.

I’m a member there too, all new equipment but from 8pm to 11pm it’s not so busy which is usually when I go. I pay about 42/mo but since I didn’t give a round of HJ’s to the staff like Skunk did, I don’t get the cheap rate.

I was a member at that Golds since November of last year and cancelled my membership in July cuz I never went more than twice a week. I didn’t really enjoy it, but I do have to say the rennovations were nice. A friend of mine is a trainer there and hooked me up it was like 35/mo.

BAC is offering a 3 month membership for like 49 i think it was, Ive been in that place before im goin back tomorrow to join, clean and they got alot of equipment

Hmm. That might be something to look into if its 3 months only. I don’t want to sign anything for a year.

planet fitness on sheridan and evans, if you dont do like classes and shit, very clean facilities, $19 a month including like free tanning and prob some other stuff, and they’re open 24 hours. That was the best point for me cause i always go at like 2am

Is it ever busy at night? I work til 11, and usually have a lot of energy to burn when I get out so that would be ideal. I think I’ve talked to you about this before.

Is there showers/lockers there?
Plenty of room?
Um, I don’t require much other than enough space, late hours, and not busy.

not busy at night, id say on avg theres me and 2-3 other people in the place, and 1 employee thats usually cleaning. But i only go monday thru wednesday with the occasional thursday thrown in, so it could be different.

showers and lockers are decent, place is roomy. If you ended up signing up and going late night let me know

i’ve always really liked UB’s gym on north campus. not sure if you’re going/went to school there, or what have you.

Na, I already graduated college, not at UB so don’t think I’d be able to get in on that lol.

Joe, I will let ya know. I probably will contact them and find out if theres a trial period, etc., but for $19 you can’t really go wrong.

just dont grunt or drop weights. They’re big on it being a “no judgment zone” and they have a tough guy alarm. They should license the concept to the chippewa bars, but it would wear out within 20 minutes or so

i would totally do planet fitness, but thats a drive for me…

im at ballys. im meh about it.

:rofl:

i started up at planet fitness 2 weeks ago, and i really enjoy it there. i usually go around 7:30-8 or so and i never have a problem finding a machine. i paid 200 for 2 years with a 40 sign up fee, so it works out to 10/mo which is awesome.

Planet Fitness dude got kicked out for grunting, hahahaha.

Ah looks like PF is only yearly memberships available.
19/mo minimum of 12 mo. shitty.