And you wonder why apple is overpriced

the success and stability of apple comes because of their ability to control the user’s experience…

so it’s as good as it is bad…

I can agree with that ^

double edged sword if you will (hell, look what nintendo did in the 80s with the NES. It pretty much saved an industry by requiring licensing)

lol find me an equally offensive image and you got it.

Basically this prevents the apple market from getting flooded with cheap crap that doesn’t work (See PC Market). Same principle behind the app store. This is a brilliant business move, keeps the brand value high, makes them more money, and ensures a quality experience with all of their products.

I bought one single accessory for my iphone, a $599 Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin, and it was worth EVERY PENNY.

another interesting thing it that apple underprices things IMO to get you in the door. “gateway products”

I consider the new iphone and the macbook to be examples of products that are really underpriced IMO.

You mean market prices? Their “underpriced” items are generally on par with competing products’ prices. Their other stuff is much, much more. The New iPhone is cheaper because AT&T is paying the majority of the price tag for you. You can get most of their other smartphones, that happen to do a lot more, for $200 as well.

wait, I think i’m still on your ignore list because of my sig. Oh well, I already wrote that out. Someone quote me.

good point, if you dont buy a contact with the phone, it’s going to cost you a shit load more money.

Well Dozr at least you bought one quality thing, the B&W speakers.

allthatshitbyyou.jpg.

Can;t hate on Apple for having delivered on a very solid business plan.

Kev - shut up and buy their stock.

haha im still buying the iphone

and keeping my sansa mp3 player so i dont have to deal with craptunes.

Yeah i should of bought the stock when he was about to get sued AGAIN, now that he was cleared its probably back up.

And honestly, I think the price was a bargain for the quality of sound, paired with the compact, attractive hardware design.

I have B&W speakers, i love them well worth the money, seriously, how do they sound with the ipod?

if they sound anything like my speakers, it must sound amazing.

Products don’t have to use the auth chip to work with iPods. All it does is simply unlock various protocols and features that the iPod supports. Video output on the newer iPods falls into this category. Also if you want to be “Made for iPhone” you have to have the right auth chip.

I hope Apple doesn’t deside to chop iPhone comminucation off with any device that doesn’t have a version 2 auth chip. The Zeppelin uses version 1 which is years old and unsupported. That could suck for you and most of the world since there aren’t that many “Made for iPhone” products.

Also I had a whole (big) paragraph typed about my opinion on the Zeppelin ranging from audio performance, construction, design, my teardown of the unit…and I deleted it… It wasn’t in good favor (understatement of the year) and I probably shouldn’t be talking about competitors products :stuck_out_tongue: Lets just say the only reason I have it on my desk is to remind me what NOT to do. I’m honestly shocked at some of the things B&W did with it knowing the quality of their other products.

I could go on for a while about it but its not really required. I’d also love to bunk some of the prices they mention about the cost of licensing and the auth chip/connector but I do honor NDAs. Especially from Apple who are more insane than you think :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s by far one of the best sounding compact units I’ve ever heard, far better than any Bose product I’ve ever listened to, but perhaps I am just listening to the wrong ones…

ewww how can you even put bose in the same sentence as B&W

It doesn’t sound terrible and in fact its not that bad at all. However don’t get me wrong as I’m not trying to say the SoundDock line can compete with the Zeppelin. Two drivers that have to do everything against 5 (two tweets, two mids, one sub) isn’t much of a competition. Its priced higher too so I’d expect it to win out in acoustics.

He mentioned it because they are my employer.

bose is your employer?, or b&w?

Bose.