Another summer tire decision thread v. Mazdaspeed3

(I couldn’t find any sticky regarding tire decision threads, so feel free to lock/move/merge/scold if need be)

I’m finally done burning up the garbage Dunlop SP Sport 2050 tires that came with the car. Got maybe 15K miles out of them, and I’m glad to be about rid of them.

The last time I bought decent performance tires I went with the Hankook Ventus RS2 tires on the 300ZX, and LOVED the seemingly endless grip they provided, but I’m looking for something with a better treadwear rating than the stockers…and know the Hankooks wouldn’t last long at all.

I don’t PLAN on tracking the car, but still enjoy the occasional/frequent spirited driving.

I think I’ve narrowed my search down to 2 reasonable, responsible choices that both appear to produce better grip and longer life than the stock tires did.

1 - Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position.

2 - Continental ExtremeContact DW.

On paper, both seem like a great performance per dollar value.

Open to other suggestions in addition to opinions on the two choices I’ve listed.

Side Note: I plan on ordering through TireRack, any suggestions regarding where to go for mounting/balancing? Or, are there any local places that can get me a better deal on a tire and mounting package than I’d get by ordering through TireRack?

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?278654-Super-Tire-Change-Bros-Tire-Mounting-Balancing

If you wanted an all out performance tire I could only recommend the Dunlop Direzza ZII, I am not that familiar with the Dunlop Z101 or Z102, but I would assume that it would be a great three season tire.

I have used the DW’s on my Speed3 for a few seasons and love them. They are a perfect balance of comfort and performance for me, not to mention in the right price range as well.

If you liked the RS2, why not go RS3?

I ran the rs3 and wasn’t a big fan.
Very poor in the rain and greasy feeling when warm.

I had much better luck with NT01s.

Great grip but WAY too soft. I’m looking to get 20k +/- miles out of them…and the Hankooks wouldn’t last half that.

anybody know were i can get 235 35 19 tires around buffalo area i want used

I forgot to mention I’ll need the factory tire pressure sensors reset apparently. Is this something common that all tire mounting places have the ability to do? I’ve never owned a car with these sensors before, kind of a n00b.

Need to? Not that I know of. It will just give you the dash light.

They should reset on their own. Every car I’ve had with them always has.

You don’t need to reset anything. You just put the new tire on and away you go. I just got some dz101’s for street duty on my Evo. Should be over 20k miles

I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS’s (All season version of the DW) and absolutely loved them. No experience with the Bridgestones though