Tires! Spring/summer 2013

I know I’m not the only one who will be looking to replace their tires after this season, need some suggestions. Have a set of dedicated snows on right now, so I’m cool with having a set of dedicated summer tires. I’d like to keep it under $1k including install.

Need QTY 4 18" 235/40’s. Ideas? Deals? Specials? Would love to support a local vendor and not buy from tirerack…

edit: including the car info is probably a good idea. 2008 A4 2.0T s-line w/titanium package

2x edit: not looking to pay cash, I like racking up the points on my cc.

So you want just strictly summer high performance tires ?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

You missed a good sale in the fall from discount tire with the double rebate. I know a couple guys picked up Hankook Ventus V12 EVOs. I loved my PS2’s but they lasted 15k and cost close to $2k when all is said and done. The V12’s with the sale were closer to $800. They are still sitting in my basement so I can’t provide a review, but the only complaint I read was they can be noisy.

Ventus V12’s on my Mustang, probably around half-tread right now. First 10,000 miles or so they were great, after that it’s been all down hill…so noisy!

Yea, wasnt in a position to spend the money back then so I dont feel bad about missing it. I’m sure there are going to be some sales coming up :tup:

Yep, looking for summer only tires. would consider the right all seasons I suppose. Dont need to be super ultra mega max amazing crazy high performance as I have zero intention of going to a track

Ones that have caught my eye so far

-Bridgestone Potenze s-04 Pole position. $784 before shipping

-Continental extremecontact DW $720 before shipping

-Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 $624 before shipping

Michelin Pilot Super Sport $860 before shipping

–Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position $748 before shipping

i am assuming you’re trying to order tires soon right ?

i was going to order the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 but i won’t be able to review them until mid april

they are $652 before shipping. otherwise i’ve heard good things about the s04 pole positions you listed above. havent heard much about the others.

IIRC Swerve can get anything tire rack has, and i believe (don’t quote me) if you buy 4 from them they mount them free. You’d have to ask Paul

I know pepboys is selling the falken pt722 (not an awful tire, but not amazing either) and you buy 3 tires, get the 4th free, and theres a $60 mail-in rebate. I just can’t remember if it was a 235/40 or a 235/45 though

Decent deal

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/toggleShowingAllTireProducts.do?fcpr=&tt=false&counter=1&fclr=&ar=40&fcsr=Z&fcs=false&rd=18&fcb=*&sw=false&cs=235

You could get 4 V12 Evo’s for $622 to your door. $168 each, no tax free shipping, and if you order by 3/25 you get $50 off instantly.

If you open a carcare one card you can get a $30 visa gift card too.

The Dunlop Direzza DZ101 is even cheaper @ $159 each and the same discounts can be applied.

Discount Tire Direct has better prices than Tire Rack about 95% of the time once you factor in shipping.

I’ve got a new set of Evo’s stacked in my garage from the fall sale. After the double rebates ended up with 4 245/45/17’s for $328. :tup: That deal was like a sore dick… can’t beat it.

I need the same size for the wife’s A4

$426 shipped for the falken Ziex ZE-612

I’m shopping the same size…

Swerve quoted Nitto NeoGens at $125/tire and $20/ea M&B. That’s $20/tire cheaper than discount tire direct and you’re getting them local.

I wonder if Nitto has gotten any better since they placed 2nd to last in this 9 tire comparo. (it was a different model nitto used during the test)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/tire-test-nine-affordable-summer-tires-take-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests

Add sales tax and your up to $544 for the set. I would still go with the falkens unless the nitto is a much better tire.

ever user review I’ve ever read about the neogen was a glowing review. They seem to be a very excellent budget performance tire that has a nice balance of treadware and performance

Edit: Ziex are pieces of shit. I HATED them when I had them.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I might go with Federal SS-595’s…they run wider, so I was going to go 225/40/18 from onlinetires.com for $367.xx SHIPPED. Been reading reviews and for the price they seem like a decent tire.

What is wrong with the falken ziex? Havent done much research on them, but the discount tire reviews were not bad. I just need some cheaper tires so I dont have to worry about replacing something expensive if the wife hits another curb and damages the tire.

they wore quicker than rated, they were TERRIBLE in the wet, and they were not very sticky in the dry compared to similar tires of different brands that I tried. I would have a hard time calling them better than Fuzions, which I have very similar complaints about. If these are just tires for your wife, then there’s nothing wrong with them…but for the OP and myself, they aren’t worth buying.

They are for the wife and they will be on a A4 quattro, but if they are really bad in the wet that is a concern.

FYI, I just got an email from Falken…they’re doing rebates from $60-100 on select tires…including the azenis PT-722. Onlinetires.com has those for $96/tire and the reviews I’ve read are quite good for the pricepoint. after a $60 rebate your at about $80/tire and with shipping about $400 even for four touring azenis. I’m planning to call onlinetires.com monday to see if they have any current promo/discount codes I can apply before checkout just to be sure I get the best deal…but this is probably the route I’m going to go regardless.

link to fill out the rebate form (fill it out, print it, print invoice/reciept for applicable tires, mail it in)

http://www.falken.rapid-rebates.com/Consumer/

Nitto makes good tires, but I wouldn’t consider the invo one of them so I’m not surprised they got beat by a lot of good tires in that car and driver comparo.

Falken ziex’s are nothing special either.

But if all you want is a somewhat sporty tire that doesn’t wear right out a lot of the tires in this thread would do. I prefer either the cheapest all seasons I can get or I go for something with a lot of performance even if it doesn’t last long. I also like to go best of the best for snows too.

I have falken sinceras I think on my dd now. (pretty much same as ziex)They have about 20k on them and probably have another 20k to go. I used them for 1 winter and they were ok. I dont know what you expect from a tire that was like 70$ each for 14s lol

Edit: if youre ordering federals make sure they hsve them in stock. Send them an email

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2