Anubis3950's 96 Talon Tsi (Its Good To See It Hasn't Gone Away From Everybody)

rear wheel bearings are always a problem. If its not the bearing, check all the bushings, sometimes they get sloppy and will send the rear end out of alignment.

fixed it for you

Thanks Man that made me feel much better.

I have a pretty good knowledge of cars. Just never a DSM or even an AWD for that matter. What kills me about the car is that it has some much potential. What I keep saying to myself is that the only place I go from here is better. The car is at its worse and I can only make it better. Hopefully I don’t get discouraged.

Previous cars:
95 Jetta VR6
01 Golf 1.8T
02 Civic Si
03 Focus SVT
03 RSX Type S

I have had the cars and done the work myself. Nothing has been more frustrating then this one. Just when I fix a noise I get a new one. I just want to get the car going done the road straight then I will a little better. The car is going to the dealer Tuesday to check out some open recalls so maybe that will help. I kinda of have a crappy work schedule. Seniority sucks sometimes. I will try to make one of the meets. Pics will come soon.

yeah dsm compared to those cars is night and day, and what type of previous maintenance have you done on those cars, all are quite new. doubt much happened, not putting you down, just stating that DSM’s arent user friendly in the beginning. youve gotta learn the quirks each one has, once you weed out the problems they are great cars… having a 96+ in NY kills alot of what you can do to a dsm because any fun mod will kill most of the chances of passing emissions. DSM Link is your only option for an ecu program if you want to remain OBD compliant

as far as recalls, you may have a Transfer case recall, i know 1G’s had them so you may be able to score a T-case out of it if it is affected.

Hey man I actually meant that it made feel better. I needed a laugh and you are right I need to keep reading about this type of cars.

The transfer case recall was already performed-Damn
It is going to Terry Chrysler Tuesday for the lower lateral ball joint and ecu recall.

Ken,

I did get you message about your current issues(not sure if you received my reply). I just got back in town last night from crashing the waves in N.Carolina. I’ve got you number and schedule will give you a call sometime Monday late morning to noon. Got some running around to do and get cracking back into JVG’s Audi/JM’s Sti but I’ll give you a shout. Was thinking about calling McVeigh up and shooting over for a beer sometime this week anyway(you still live next door right??) so I can always just meet up with you then if you’re home to take a peek. Used to own a couple 1g beater Tsi’s myself back in the old skool days. The DSM roots is where this all started here :ninja

-Adam

Well here they are don’t laugh. I took these with my psp camera because my digi broke.
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5134/dsc00081tw8.th.jpg
Engine Bay-Some goodies: Fluidyne Radiator, Turbo XS Blow Off Valve
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8332/dsc00082xd2.th.jpg
I don’t know if can see it but there is huge dents in the door. I’m looking for a new door.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7484/dsc00084jg2.th.jpg
The car is missing the center caps, my cousin is making some out of aluminum he works at a machine shop.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8719/dsc00085er5.th.jpg
Here is my Hori PSP mount. I’m looking at amps and speakers right now and will be running my stereo off my PSP no subs or anything big. My neighbor made the radio gauge panel out ABS plastic
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9746/dsc00086nt1.th.jpg
Like the JB Weld and broken bolt holes for the spark plug cover and spark plug wire keep-Sweet.-Looking for a new valve cover

I have many plans for the car but I think the list is to long. I just trying to get the car going down the road right. Next is new KYBs and Bushing kit after I figure out the noise in the rear end. Then new tires (thinking Falken Azenis). I’m trying to keep a sleeper look. I thinking a track able car. I like going fast but I like going fast through turns.

your red x’s just dont do it justice :tong

Hopefully I fixed it.

Do not mod the car. Do all of the maintence necessary to get the car in 100% working order. There is plenty of resources on this forum and DSM-related forums to help you.

Then, do what you want.

Do not end up like the majority where they have 930920349429 mods but the fucking clutch is gone or X is an issue.

Yeah, thats what I’m going for. I want the car to be driving in good mechanical condition then I will start doing some mods.

Here is kind of a list:
Continue Fluid Changes
New Fuel Filter
Car is running rich-figure this out
New Wheel Bearings
New Valve Cover
New door
Prothane bushings and Shocks (Powdercoat the arms)
Acid the undercarriage and repaint it
New Wheels and Tires
Remove the sunroof (it leaks and I really don’t like them anyway-weight savings too)
New Paint
Then start modding…

A little update. Here what I got for $45:

Passenger Door (mine is dented its white but I’m getting it primed till I paint the car)
Both Door Panels
All the switch panels
Door Sill
Center Console Plastic
Stock Intake Box
Misc Screws and Bolts for the Interior

Nice car looks like its coming along. I would recommend you check out www.dsmtalk.com for a ton of information and you can find parts easily.

Ken, I have that E8 manifold here in ballston spa. I can drop it off on my way back from Lake Placid Tues evening if you’re going to be around.

Hey Guys,

I been working on the car a lot. I am just chasing one problem after another. You know how it goes, fix one thing to fix another. Here’s a list of what I have accomplish in the last few weeks on my two days off a week:

New Crank Pulley (Do Not Order From CI Motorsports, it contacting the BBB to get my order)
New Timing Belt-including all pulleys and tensioners
New Water Pump
All New Accessory Belts
Rear Diff Fluid-Royal Purple 75w-140
Transfer Case Fluid
Transmission Fluid-Pennzoil Syncromesh (Really Feel the Difference)
New Plug Wires

Now to what happened today. I decided that I wanted to replace the CV Drive Axle on the Passenger Side because of the outer boot being torn. I figured 50 bucks, a little heat, 3 hours at most, no problem. Boy was I wrong. My friend and I started off great, everything came apart easy till we got to remove the cv from the hub bearing. Lets just say that after remove the spindle which required cutting the wheel speed sensor wire because the bolt was previously broken off by the previous owner, and plenty of whacks from a 10 LB sledgehammer no movement. F***. So we decided to go to NAPA in Saratoga were they have a machine shop to have it pressed out of the hub bearing. While it came out after 3 tries with 50 TON PRESS, bead blasting, torching, and Marvel Mystery oil. On the third try when it finally popped loose it actually jumped the press making the guys leap back. Let’s just say I owe them some new underwear. All things are back together but now I have a new problem. ABS light. Which could be that the connection where we cut the wires is not good or the wheel speed sensor was damaged when they pressed the cv out because we couldn’t remove it do to the fact of the bolt being broken. Man these cars are pieces of work.

Talked to you today, the DSM has enough stories to keep your kids entertained until you send them away to college :wow

I love it

Ken, It sounds like they damaged the wheel speed sensor when they pressed it out…

Man it sounds like you bought yourself a hand full!

I have a friend that is a DSM head. He has had 4 of them in the last 2 years and he knows what hes doing…shoot him a private message…let him know that your my ex girlfriends, sisters fiance and maybe he will let you bring it down to his house (he has a lift and shit in his garage)…heres his member name…

eeshnips. His name is Cory.

He’s got 2 first Gen TSI’s sitting out in his field that he has been parting out. I’d imagine he has any replacement part you need and would give you a way better deal then brand new OEM stuff.

Yeah I think they damaged the wheel speed sensor too. I am hoping it just a bad connection as the sensor are $186. These(This) car is definitely a handful. I’ll tell you if I ever see the kid again I and going slap him on the hand and say NO!! don’t touch a car.

One more thing to add, the monitors for the inspection never ready themselves. Well I got a check engine light P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1, this can either be the Mass Air Flow Sensor or the O2 sensor bank 1. I cleaned the MAS with cleaner. The O2 sensor is only a month old so hopefully its not that but I do have the receipt. I have not reset the computer yet because I am going to do that after I replace the fuel filter and swap out the O2 sensor.

I am hoping that this is a blessing in disguise that the ECU is finally holding and allowing the readiness monitors to do there thing. We’ll see.

Does anybody on this website work for Chrysler? The ECU was replaced a month ago. I was wondering if this a problem and if it will be covered.

my buddy worked at a dealer ill ask him and get back to you