Anubis3950's 96 Talon Tsi (Its Good To See It Hasn't Gone Away From Everybody)

Hey there guys,

I just wanted to start by saying this great having a forum for this area, and very well done to. Now to my post.

I just purchased a 1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and lets just it isn’t a great car it is definitely a project. This my first DSM Car/Turbo Car but, I’m doing alot reading and tinkering to learn more about it. I was having trouble a CEL stating p1105 (fuel pressure sensor-FAULT) so I read around the internet and there was really nothing to give me a clear answer as to what to do. Well I stopped at Advance Auto Parts in Glenville on Rt. 50 to get a code scanner to check the CEL again. And it was the same code again.
I asked this guy in a Silver Legacy GT if he knew anything about the car and he was more than happy to help me out. He told me to try this website for answers. My problems were the CEL (p1105) and the car was running ridiculously rich. Well on my way home I stopped at Synapse Motorsports to see if they could help. What I found great is that these guys came right out and looked at my car and gave me a helping hand. This just showed me that there is still people out willing to help out people just because they love cars. I got out of the car scene a while back because it just seemed that nothing but punks were out on the streets ruining it for everybody that just loves cars. I made me feel good that in one day I found these guys that helped me out solved my problem.
The kid that I bought my car from had tapped into fuel pressure line for the boost gauge (that was ziptied to the dash) and instead of using a longer length of vacuum hose he moved the fuel pressure sensor closer by ziptying it to an A/C line on the firewall. This caused a pinch, so no CEL since I moved it back and ran new line. So far so good.
Just to tell what I’m dealing with on this car, cross-drilled and slotted rotors mounted backwards causing them to warp, wheel speed sensor wire brackets that pipe were clamped to the shock bar, missing nuts on the lower control arm, a cut factory radio harness, transmission drain plug missing a gasket, three different tire sizes with four different tires, JB Welded valve cover with broken bolt holes for spark plug wire cover, a loose power steering pump belt with a brand new belt, And this what I’ve found without jacking the car up. Sorry So Long. I will keep you posted on the progress. I want to say thanks again to the guy in Legacy and Synapse.

Welcome to the site and back to the scene!

I see you’ve met Cossey (Legacy GT fella).

Sound like you got yourself a literal definition of a “project car”.

Some of the issues described would make any person with any car knowledge go :wow , what made you decide to buy the car?

What color is the TSI?

welcome!! pics of the car?

Welcome to the site and the word of owning a DSM. Im fixing some slight cob jobs and minor issue on a GST myself.

It’s a black AWD. I was at the Glenville Advance picking some stuff up and he followed me in lol.

Good to see you made it to the site!

i just went back and actually read your post, thats a ton of shit wrong with your car at once… jesus. I hope you get it all figured out.

I haven’t taken any pics of the car yet but I will definitely be keep everybody posted on how it works out. On Tuesday I am going to start taking apart the front suspension and installing a new lower ball joint and outer tie-rod on the drivers side and hopefully only an inner tie-rod on the passenger side. I am hoping that the steering rack is not broken. If anybody knows anything about the rack on dsm’s let me know how to check them. I am going to take apart the front suspension and regrease the parts and powdercoat as many components as I can. Should I move this to the projects section?

And this is what gives DSMs a bad name. It’s not the cars but mostly the retarded owners. Glad you got it straightened out.

Sounds like the cars in good hands. Def. goin’ about doing things the right way. Focusing on the important things!!

good luck man. sounds like its gonna be a kind of rough time. sucks how some people treat their cars.

DSM are like strippers. They don’t work unless you throw money at them.

they don’t work unless you throw money at them…

What are you talking about. :ninja

good luck with the dsm, sign up on dsmtalk, pretty much everything you need to know about them in on there, i spent years on that site back in the day
i still know a thing or 2 about dsms :wink:

he edited that, i shoulda quoted him :lol

I will post pics of the front suspension (and car) tomorrow. If anybody wants to have a laugh and see what not to do to a car. Check back. I will be funny.

Well I got most of the work done Tuesday and Wednesday.

I replaced the Lower Control Arm (Drivers) $79 on Mastercard
Outer Tie-Rods (Both) $70 on Mastercard
Rear Pads and Rotors $50 on Mastercard
Put on Cheap Tires (Used) 205/55/r16 $80 on Mastercard
Alignment (Monro) $80 on Mastercard
Tires mounted and balanced (Monro) $73 on Mastercard
Inspection FAILED- Monitors Not Ready $21 on Mastercard
Transmission Drain Plug (Mangino Mitsubishi) $10 on Mastercard
Finding out the rims maybe bent and NEW noise in rear end PRICELESS

It never pays to Discover

Well the car goes better down the road but now I have a major issue, whenever I let off the gas and decelerate I get a weird grinding noise from the rear end. And minute you touch the gas it goes away. WHAT THE HELL!!! I don’t want to give up but I am getting pretty darn close to it. Any suggestions? Tech info. I was going to post pics but the car depresses me. If that kid answers the phone when I call WHOA! Oh and to pour salt on the wound the ball joint lower control assembly would be covered under a recall.

:headbang

post pics …who cares…you car is still faster than most

In for the pics.

By the way, you get credit for not giving up on it and passing the buck to somebody else. :thumb

If you come out to the future Shift meets, I’ll take a shot or two at it.