anybody running 3" straight pipe with a resonator on sr??

hey im just wondering if anybody is anybody is running 3" straight pipe with a cat and resonator, but no muffler, im considering it but i dont want that loud obnoxious drone, any insite on this would be awesome thanks

cody

Its loud but not as bad as a complete straight pipe if u dont want loud but want flow buy the apexi exhaust valve it will make ur car quiter till u want it full open. Just an idea

Sai is running that exact setup, 3" cat, resonator, and ISIS DD 3" straight pipes from resonator back on an SR. It’s pretty loud. Louder than my apexi evo N1 single w/o cat.

im running it on a ka, sounds nice

running that setup with no problem with the OPP supervisor neighbour next door.

im running that its fukn LOUD my exhuast is by moroso or something

Lol, I think that’s WHY you don’t have any problems :stuck_out_tongue:

Im running 3" pipe with only a cat. Its pretty loud and i want to know what the cops ticket you for, as far as decibels or what reason they would have to issue a ticket for a loud pipe

this is a new setup for me so let me know what you think about this. Ive heard everything from no problem to your getting a ticket for sure. Whats the real deal on this?

The ticket is “Improper Muffler”. That law is worded in such a way that it puts the ticket at an officer’s discretion, something to the effect of; “produces excessive noise”. There is no decibel limit like other places. I looked that up in the HTA back when I tried to fight one, cop ended up not showing.

How often have ppl here been harassed by the cops for this or other reasons. I ask because last fall I got about 6 tickets for various things from an asshole cop(problems with car, not racing or speeding), ended up talking to the prosecutor and all were dropped except for 1 and they made me pay 20 bucks for the second one. saved hundreds!

Good idea to go talk to the prosecutor! don’t just pay the tickets.

I’ve never understood the improper muffler ticket. I feel like it’s an excuses for the cop just to pull you over and look at things. I got one a couple years ago, went to fight it did my thing with the prosecutor and then got a letter in the mail saying the ticket was dropped.

Did you make a deal with the prosecutor or ask to go to trial?

Was the prosecutor a lady?:rimshot:

With big boobies…

it might be difficult to make it stick since there is no defined standard, ie- 100 decibels. Its very subjective, or possibly discriminatory…that could be the problem with making it stick. What 1 person thinks is loud, somebody else thinks is fine.

Want to know which way steve660 went in the pre-meeting. Did he ask for trial and they decided to drop it cause they knew it wouldn’t fly and they didn’t want to waste court time on a no-win?

I was going to take it to trial. I was just planning to talk about how loud harely’s are from factory but never had the chance

I think they realized that it was a no-win, so dropped the charge. Interesting.

If it had gone to trial, you could have asked them for technical proof that it was loud, and by what standard did he make that call to write you a ticket? I think the way the law is written is really shaky. It could be discriminatory, actually. I don’t think “because it sounded loud” is sufficient for the judge to convict. I believe you have to be guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. If there is a grey area, such as no technical guidelines or no decibel test at the time of the ticket, there is the possibility you could be innocent of the charges.

Thats probably why they didn’t pursue it, and just dropped it. Because of the possibility of innocence.

was running the 3" exhaust with just cat but just added a straight through muffler to tone it down yesterday. Still somewhat loud, but sounds much better. Not so raw of a sound, if that describes it properly.

The muffler guy said a resonator really wouldn’t do much, so thats why he recommended the straight muffler. He said if you really want to shut the sound down, you would have to go w something more like a magnaflow.

My downpipe (isis) also doesn’t have a flex section, so the vibrations are loosening off the bolts at my turbo elbow where it joins to the turbo and it blew out the gasket too! Going back to have him add a flex section to reduce or eliminate that problem. Maybe I sould put some locktite on the bolts too!

UPDATE: props to GT custom exhaust in Oshawa, he welded on a support for my downpipe to reduce vibration and keep the bolts from coming loose, I had already lost one! He added a new one, and im good to go! He’s got a sic track coupe as well. It was awesome to hang out with him and talk engines and stuff!

My exhaust setup is 4 feet long from turbo to the tip only running through a 3" vibrant resonator and I love it. Its not that obnoxious during the day but at night it will get unwanted attention. Ill have it at bings if you want to hear it.

Haha holy smokes, 2011 and stuff