Anyone a tow truck driver & have some info?

/\ ohh my holy ghettoness.

Hahaha I’m pretty sure I know who you’re talking about, and I think I’ve even seen him hit a chick at a bar

I wanna say the black truck in that pic grabbed a s.t.I from our shop , yeah on the stinger with a a.w.d car and no wheel dolleys . Yeah I’m sure we all know how that ended lol

to operate a light duty tow truck you just need a towing endorsement from DMV. 20 question test easy as hell just read the book and you can pass. To operate a vehicle or combination in excess of 26k you need a CDL or anything with air brakes. Also to tow anything in excess of 10k pounds GVW you need a class A truck trailer license. The tow endorsement allows you to operate anything registered as a tow truck, but the weight of the combination still has to fall within whatever class license you have. I had a brief stint at a tow company one of the guys that had worked there a long time said they used to do repo work and it was good money.

just wonderfully for the drivetrain :rofl

The air brake on trucks under 26 is lifted ,no c.d.l required lol

That and the car ripped straps and ended up on the truck . We just watched him deal with what he did I got video of it but I fucking lost that and a few others trying to download other vids

wasn’t aware. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anything less than 33k w/ air brakes equipped less than that HD hydraulics work fine.

My last truck had em , once we got it and we saw air we called and d.o.t said I was good . I went and got my c.d.l anyway lol

As far as I know it was anything with air is class B

Keep my rig out of it! :lol

I tow for a local company part time as a second job. As everyone said I just have the endorsement. You do need dot medical card to cross state lines though. I drive wreckers with my endorsement also so Idk why people are saying you need an a for that. Any light or even some medium duty is endorsement anything heavy you’d need cdl, but it sounds like you just wanna tow cars not semis.

I was told I needed a DOT medical card too but I never got one and I go to Pittsfield, MA in the company truck.

nah u don’t need a CDL just class E license , lets you drive vehicles for hire like taxi’s and limos. i got one it was an easy form to fill out, no tests

Indian guy with a taxi license, imagine that

ya im one of the first :smiley:

Your talking about a 19-A.

Doesn’t matter if its personal or for hire. You need the endorsement. It’s like a few bucks and 20 easy questions.

If you get caught crossing state lines to drop a car or pick up a car, you will get a ticket. Trust me its happened to co-workers. We go as far as Maryland. Also if your doing long hauls bring a log book. One driver got stopped by dot without it and since he couldn’t prove he was driving for less than 12 hours they made him sit for 8 before letting him go.

Unless its under 26,000 lbs then we don’t give a shit. Trust me I get this call all the time about Joe Schmoe and his tow truck that has air brakes but it has a GVWR of under 26,0000 lbs and the office thinks he needs and air brake endorsement. Which is BS anyway because there’s no such thing as an air brake endorsement. Anything involving air brakes on a NY license is a restriction such as the L restriction “Invalid for air brakes” Or the L1 restriction “Invalid for class A air brakes” and the like. If you have an A B or C license that shows no restrictions you are okay to drive that respective vehicle with air brakes. It all boils down to what kinda vehicle you road test on basically.

Ahh. I have a class B and what I drive is 40,000lbs unloaded. Makes sense.