Anyone familiar with timing on a car? v/sr20det

So I just finished swapping a sr20det in to a 240sx. The CAS (crank angle sensor) was out of the engine when I received it. Upon putting it back in , the timing needs to be reset.

This motor has markings on the sensor, cam gears,chain, and crank pulley so you dont need a timing light. I’m 99.9% I did it correctly, but is still running rough. There MAY be another issue, but I cannot fix what I cannot diagnose.

Anyone who has done timing and would like to stop by to check it out, chime in or shoot me a PM. Car is in Rochester. Much appreciated!

are you 180* off ??

yah are you sure your not 180 off? how rough is it running?
did u upgrade your fuel pump?
who did your wiring?
bad maf?
how do u know its timing?
your fuel lines could be backwards(seriously)

u should still need a light to adjust the cas. i had to do this on my CA. make sure everything else is good then get a light and check it out. make sure your also not like 1 tooth off, this happened to me as well when i replaced my belt.

you are correct. you still do need the light, you hook it up to the thickest wire comming off the ignitor.

It was pre “swapped” , I replaced the old SR with a 20k one. I dont know how to tell im 180deg off, havent used a timing light, and to be honest, I wouldn’t know how to make those adjustments.

I’m assuming it was the cas because it was out of the motor when it fell in to my hands, so timing needs to be reset regardless, and I did so according to the FSM, found below (same steps). However having never set timing on a car before, I’m aware that I may not be doing ti correctly or missing another step. Is ignition timing another story? How would I go about adjusting that on this engine?

you should be able to get it close enough for it to run decent without a timing light. and if it runs your fuel lines are hooked up correctly. and if you have the timing chain 1 tooth off im pretty sure you can make it up with the cas.

mmm. I’d say I did everything pretty damn close. I know I did. Everything aligned perfectly

you can also run a spark plug wire from the coil pack to the plug and clip on to that (with the light) you just need to make sure the pack is grounded. did you even take the timing chain(s) off??

nope, shouldn’t have had to.

sounds like you got something else going on, if u used the fsm and got it pretty close it should still run decent. did u take the cas off the old motor n try that one?
maybe swap the ignitor off the old motor
maybe the new motor has a bad injector

yea are any codes being thrown? check for that

i’ll try swapping the cas and check for codes, good suggestions.