Anyone Go Kart?

Im in school so i cant afford to campaign a car in a series, but goodwood is like 10 minutes from my house and im thinking that it would be just as much fun to do karting on the regular.

anyone do it?

I just recently got my son into Kart racing. It is certainly addicting!

I joined Goodwood this year along with markd1 – it’s been meh so far…if it wasn’t so hot right now I’d go into more detail.

what has been meh so far? shitty races or boring or what?

pros

• it’s a “real race” vs. lapping day
  • some carts are pretty fast
  • most people participating are pretty cool
  • track is pretty fun (cars could be a bit faster coming out of a few turns tho)

cons

• carts always break (last time i went 3 out of the 5 carts i drove broke)
  • carts have huge differences (brakes remaining, speed, handling, whether or not they’re broken)
  • bullshit weight classes
  • not as much track time as implied (implied over 2 hours, in reality it’s more like 30 mins)

It costs $55 each day you go out, $110 yearly membership, and I spent about $450 on equipment (gloves, suit, neck brace, etc.), all mandatory. Could find cheaper stuff if you get used or lower quality.

It’s my first year there but I’m not sure I’ll return. It can be awesome when it’s going good, but I’ve had a lot of bad luck there leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

ah thats brutal, last time i went there just for some fun lapping the karts we all broken and shit too, guess i should have known better

Cameron Motorsports is 10 min from my place and it’s been awesome everytime i’ve gone out. Havent tried the league racing, might some day.

i used to race karts and batavia and a couple tracks in canada. also raced in the wka manufactures cup series which is a nation wide sereis where u travel around the country.
i raced in a couple classes, the briggs 4-cycle, honda 4-cycle(canada) and 100cc yamaha.
it was so damn fun, i miss it alot. got out of it cuz batavia died out, and going to national races was getting wayyyy too expensive.

i used to get my karts from romeo motorsports in canada, but they are closed now. used to race on their team also.

deff do it if u have the chance, u will not regret it.

i would like to get into race karts too

dft do u still have a kart? FS?

what kind of kart did you campaign? like chassis and stuff.

would you recommend buying a new one and building it for whatever series you want to join, or buying a used one?

naw i sold my kart, all my spare parts, and my trailer a couple years ago.
its cheap to get into at first if u can find a used one, the money starts adding up when u start buying spare parts, and parts to tune your kart with, such as gear sprockets, different angle spindles, different thickness rear axles, and a bunch of other shizzy. not to mention entry fees.
there is a place im elma i think it is. its called MXK racing. or u can check out american power sports. just google them

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

some pics i found just for fun, i am #36

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/dftsilvia/1252265161_l.jpg

in this bottom pic thats a jr. behind me (they run 40lbs lighter and a smaller rear tire, he should be beating me lol )

This looks to be a really really fun time. I must try sometime with the fast karts.

i did shifter carting a few years ago, not sure what cc they were, but your doing double the highway speeds on long stretches.

really addicting

This carting business looks great. Where would one look for used carts, etc.?

That sounds like a fucking blast!!! I would love to try this. Where again can this be done, how much does it cost and looking to use a kart, not my own along with gear as well. The faster, the better.

i did it in indiana. my dads friend is rich as fuck and has 3 karts, 2 shifters and 1 auto for his kids lol.

even the automatic one was stupid fast

i ran a mike wilson “mike 8” which is a 2-cycle kart, it ran a 100cc yamaha. i ran the yamaha sportsman “can” class ( can style restrictive muffler aprox. 17hp) and
yamaha sr light ( ran pipe style exhaust and big boy clutch aprox 26hp )

i would check out the rules n classes at the track u plan on running, and i would suggest getting a good used kart thats a couple years old for the class u plan to run. usually if u go to the track and hangout u ca find someone selling one, or a vendor that is there advertising.
my kart was like 8k brand new… but it was a turn key package with tires, engine and everthing.

holy shit 26hp? that thing must rip hard

yeah good call on just hainging out though. ill probably go watch the next series race and see whats up

Where is this place located again… Definitely interested in photographing these events. Currently doing motocross, so this cant be that hard. Motocross they are going up and down which you need to make sure your always on them, these its just a straight away and a turn. lol

Did you ever run against the Baker brothers (Bobby and Wayne)