Anyone here do fork tube straigntening?

What the title says.
Looking at ballpark prices to straighten the set from my bike, 36mm conventional forks, bent at the lower triple - one a couple mm, another between 5-10mm. I would rather salvage them than buy a used set, but since a pair of these go about 150 on ebay I’m not looking to pay more than that.

replace em there stressed and not worth riskin your life over ,trust me if ya get em straight there weak in that area or just wastin money tryin

Good point…
Looks like a set could be had for as little as 125 shipped, guess I’ll just do that instead.

ya tats really cheap man, just replacethem :smiley:

Just won a set for $148 shipped from an 07 with low miles.
Maybe I can sell my old ones for 40-50 and get some of that money back…
Being broke sucks

is anyone going to want to buy bent forks tho ?

the guts are savable most of the time and the lower tubes

oh alright, well thats cool then :slight_smile:

Another question for suspension people;
Just got the forks today, everything looks good but they have this weird slushing/dragging noise they make on rebound after a couple pushes, like the oil getting bubbles in it. Seals are good and it sounds like there is oil inside. Is it because they rebound differently without the weight of the bike on them?

can u flush the oil and put new oil in ?

Not till spring, there is no good way to do it without the forks being in the triples.
I’ll probably end up doing it anyway, but just want to know if this is actually normal or not to have these sort of noises.

the best way to do it is out of the triples and if there airaiting that means a bad seal take them to a shop and get em redone its not that expensive

Regardless if you think the seals may be good, I would rebuild them anyways. They are USED and seals are inexpensive enough to replace and then you won’t have any doubts at all.

The owners manual for my CFR dirtbike shows you how to tear down forks and rebuild them… I am sure you could pull it off if you found the shop manual for the bike. You will need a seal driver your you will tear the seal as you hammer it in. I helped a buddy do his dirt bike, but he took them apart so fast and I was only in the shop for bits and pieces while they went back together so I cant remember exactly how they went back together.

Maybe call around to dirtbike shops and see if they can rebuild them for you.

I thought new seals were in order if the old ones actually leaked?
I’m kinda weary of doing a full fork rebuild considering my mediocre technical skills.

Since I’m doing this on a budget I’d rather do all the work myself.
Here’s a pretty good link I found, not the same bike but forks are very similar. Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos
I don’t think I have all the necessary tools for this and doing it half-assed is a sure way to break something.

Yea, always better to be safe then sorry though. When I bought new forks for my ZX-6 I replaced them.

Thing is without someone looking over my shoulder there is a big probability I’ll break off the damper rod bolt, bend the tubes or ruin the new seals while putting them in without knowing it. You have to have at least some experience to do things like that right.

Give my brother a call. He’s laid up right now due to a back injury. If your not in an immediate hurry to get it done he may be able to help you out.

I think I’ll take you up on that come spring-time when I start doing all the other work on it.