anyone here work up in fort mac?

well? :smiley:

I used to. Then I wised up and got a foreman job in Edmonton. Same money, but I’m home every night.

I used to. But I finally smartened up and moved to Edmonton in 2000.

I also grew up there in Fort Mac (first moved there in '76), so after returning to work (Syncrude) up there for a few years after university, I had definitely had enough of that place…

From what I’ve been hearing the last couple years, its a lot worse up there now then when I was last living there. I hated it then… I can’t imagine what its like now.

I’ve worked up North for a while as well, back in Edmonton, I hope they don’t need any coordinators up north any time soon!

What do you coordinate?

His shirts, pants and socks. I am just avoiding it… I should really go work up there… Welding inspection in fort mac = Huge coinage.

= no lifeage

If you have a women, take her with you. If not, well… don’t get your hopes up while up there.

There’s actually quite a stong community up there, but I think it helps to have a wife, kids, steady job etc. I’ve got friends who have lived in Ft Mac for nearly 20 years and just love it. Lot’s of hunting and fishing. Lot’s of snowmobiling, quading, biking. Lot’s of hockey, soccer, etc for the kids.

The ‘other half’ is largely transient. Lot’s of guys stuck in camp get to town with a whole lot of pent up… stuff… and a pocketful of money. Not a good combination.

If you want to make a big pile of money and don’t mind a chance of pace, get a camp job, put your checks in the bank, and throw away the key. If it was me, I’d sign up for correspondence self study stuff to either increase my value in the marketplace or get up to speed on a hobby. Anything other than TV to occupy the off time. (TV rots your mind if you’re wondering. :stuck_out_tongue: ) Do it temporarily and get out. It helps to have goals and trigger points to sign back up for the real world.

The biggest trap is to spend the money as fast as you make it. You get used to the spending patterns, but never get ahead. That’s a game no one wins.

Counselling session is out. Enjoy! :partyman:

Dan

what do you do in edmonton? whoever you work for, are they still hiring?

hookers’n’coke. so common in rig camps, even the most Ned Flanders type guy will just be like “yeah, we had a pretty wonderful evening, just, you know read a good book and then had some hookers’n’coke, then watched the news drank to some beer to bring my back down and went to bed”

[quote=“beatshack”]

hookers’n’coke. so common in rig camps, even the most Ned Flanders type guy will just be like “yeah, we had a pretty wonderful evening, just, you know read a good book and then had some hookers’n’coke, then watched the news drank to some beer to bring my back down and went to bed”[/quote]

I’ve spend many a night in rig camps and thankfully have not been exposed to that particular activity. (Rarely out more than a few days at a time, and never more than two weeks. That probably helps.) I’ve got no doubt at all that it goes on all over the place, but I wouldn’t want anyone to think you HAVE to partake…

Dan

LOL. Classy.

So how does that work…You take some coke (to try to forget the fact you’re with a hooker) then do her. Or give her the coke. Or you both do the coke and then do it? Or any combo therein…

I can’t imagine the quality of these hookers is that high… are they? I mean, I’ve seen some scary chicks just at the local strip club in Fort Mac… but that was years ago.

LOL. Classy.

So how does that work…You take some coke (to try to forget the fact you’re with a hooker) then do her. Or give her the coke. Or you both do the coke and then do it? Or any combo therein…

I can’t imagine the quality of these hookers is that high… are they? I mean, I’ve seen some scary chicks just at the local strip club in Fort Mac… but that was years ago.[/quote]

I don’t want to insult anyone here, but ‘quality’ and ‘hooker’ go together just like ‘fast’ and ‘Honda’ on a Nissan forum.

:E

Choose life!

Dan

Some of the cleaning crews in fort mac put there kids threw collage on the money they get from doing a little extra hour activity… Some of them are actually kinda hot. I have been up there… but not for work.

What do you coordinate?[/quote]

I was the on-site electrical coodinator up in Aurora (go further north past Syncrude base plant). I was responsible for progressing, material, and manpower trending.