Anyone know a quality body shop? Also who can do cages to my specs/design etc...?

Well I am just inquiring I am shopping around.

First what are some good body shops around? I will strip the car down mostly, take engine out, subframe, etc…

I would want the whole car sandblasted, all paint removed, all rust cut out, new metal welded in, all repaired, frame PROPERLY repaired not some tacked on steel garbage covered in tar. Work done out, in and underneath the car entirely rotisserie. The whole car stitch welded everywhere, including underneath the car the frame lines. No crappy bondo used. I am talking quality professional work, and finally painted in the color of my choice.

Alongside that, who can do a good cage on the car locally? I don’t know that many shops that can do this locally. If I were to give them the design schematics, reference pictures, attached professionally to pillars, gusseted, how I want it done exactly, that they would be able to do the exact same not some sloppy almost ‘good enough’ work.

:cool:

I know this post is useless but that is going to take a ton of work and a ton of money. My suggestion is to just find a mint car from the US or get a 180sx imported from Japan.

Or you can spend all that money and go to California, pick up an S13 and call it a day.

I’m gonna agree with those two. Save up some coin, roadtrip to Cali, pick up a clean S13, and then build from there… It’ll be cheaper and safer… I’ve seen some impressive rust recovery projects get abandoned (anyone remember Sockington’s S13?)… Not worth the effort.

More info, consider it soon…I’m going hopefully within this month to pick one up.

do you already own the car? if so does it hold any sentimental value? ie: its the first car i ever owned or my first blow job was in that car, ect.

the only reason(s) to go though all this trouble of restoring a car is

A-the car hold a special meaning to you.
B-the car is rare or a classic
C-i am rich so who cars.

but honestly if all you are looking for is a solid platform to build a car to have some fun or track or whatever, then go to the states or wait for one to pop up locally-it does happen form time to time.

Okay does anyone actually know of shops or is this a normal thing on this forum to tell people what to or not to do, what’s best and not best for them, etc…?

The car as is, is okay, it’s not a rust bucket and judging by what I’ve seen of s chassis cars on the roads locally is in excellent shape.

I am just overhauling the whole project and I want it done properly. I’m aware I can get a Japanese chassis or California chassis, that’s not the only point. I want to restore the whole chassis mint. Stitch/seam weld and cage the car. No point in running expensive toys on a crappy weak chassis. Let’s just say I have some plans for the car.

I understand alot of you are on a low budget and would not spend time or money on a car like this. But please, if you don’t have an actual answer please don’t respond.

I don’t mean disrespect, thanks :slight_smile:

Edit: A friend of mine mentioned to me that there is a certified cage builder in Kingston, but I am looking GTA local… bodyshop wise I am not too sure and I need to shop around…

^I’ll do your cage and seam welding! LOL

:picard:

I hear Maaco does good work.

CT for the swap.

zilvia.net is where you find a near mint chassis. Thats where I would look for a mint chassis or even ebay.
I will see if I can spot a chassis of some sort for you when I go to the dirty south this summer.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8867/shipoffailcl4.jpg

Haha, I just kid.

Do you even have a general idea of what you’re asking for would cost? Easily over 10k, maybe over 15. This is the kind of undertaking that you either do yourself, or you don’t do at all. It’s not a matter of having or not having the money, that’s just being an idiot plain and simple.

Okay I guess I asked in the wrong place. Thanks anyways guys.

Pssst… When a dozen long standing members of a car community suggest something, usually it’s from experience.

If the rust isn’t that bad, as you say, any shop can take care of it. If there’s frame rot, you’re never gonna have a perfect chassis, so it’s smarter to just find a cleaner one.

Clearly you’ve made up your mind that this is the perfect chassis or something, and you don’t seem to want to take our advice, so maybe you should just look for shops that do old muscle cars etc. They’ll be used to dealing with rust and resto work.

Also, if this is the “perfect chassis” and you want to have it restored “properly” why would you not be willing to travel with the chassis for quality work?

If you mean “I guess I asked in the wrong place to get the answer I wanted, instead of good advice” then yes. You did.

We don’t tend to give outrageous ideas much thought, because we hear a lot of them. This is not a good idea. It is not worth the time and effort, there are much better, more cost effective ways of achieving your goals. We are telling you that for your own best interest. Not because we decided to bash on the newb and not help him or something…

If you want smoke blown up your ass and someone to tell you that you’re doing the right thing, go find a girlfriend or ask your mommy and daddy. If you want the truth, whether it fits into your grand scheme or not, that’s what you’re getting here.

Legendary Motor Car can do this for you.

What exactly do you want to build this car for?

http://www.cscracing.com/ci.html
these people build race cars. located in new market

http://www.turbo240sx.ca/
240 expert that has built cages for 240s. located in alliston

i was quoted 1000-1200 to blast a car. the car had to be completely striped by me before any work could be done. located near steels and winston churchill.

if the rust isn’t too bad then any competent body shop can help you out. ask some of the vendors who they recomend.

my good deed is done for the day. know go spend that money.

peace

Silvia Drift - wow those guys are hardcore. I really love guys who restore classics/muscle cars/hot rods. Now that’s real car work.

Thank you Tosh, I really appreciate it. Yeah I’ll be stripping the car down myself. Subframe drop, engine pop, the rest go booop :slight_smile:

I have to see some sample work and get some quotes first… I already know what sort of cage I want… a friend of mine just contacted me letting me know he knows a shop in Burlington that does hot rod/restoration work… I’ll go check them out first but this gives me an idea.

Fobwall - Summer car/track car.