Anyone looking for a ZR1?

i get that buddy. i know quite a bit about corvettes, you arent telling me something i dont already know. im just stating my preference.

We’ve done a few heads/cam installs on C6s and C6Zs and its without a doubt worth it! You just need someone who knows what they are doing and get a good tune.

I will agree, my uncle’s buddy has an 07 Z with a blower on it, it is truly amazing, my next car will without a doubt be a C6Z, but I am still having fun with my C5 :slight_smile:

The 1st C6Z I saw at PRP had headers & a tune & it ran 11.0. That was when they 1st came out. He was having trouble launching it & was hoping for 10.70s if he figured out the launch. Pretty impressive for a basically stock car with all the creature comforts.

Even one of the baddest factory produced cars in the Musclecar heyday (1968 SuperStock Dart/Barracuda) was slower & they didn’t have a heater, window cranks, hood hinges, radio, seat tracks, rear seat, spare tire, etc, and had a lightweight fiberglass hood & fenders. Dodge/Hurst only built about 50 of each (actually 68 Darts), and they weren’t street legal. Super STock Darts ran about 11.20s out of the box on slicks. With some tuning, they broke into the 10s.

I would imagine a slightly modded C6 ZR1 will be faster, but at a much, much higher cost. I know the engineers had trouble with the LS9 handling much more boost than it is making stock. I’m betting there isn’t really much you can do to it.

I know these cars aren’t built for drag racing, but on the street, you really can’t use them to the limits they were designed for. Stoplight drag racing is about all you can really do to enjoy them. These cars are best on a track & I can bet that a modded C6 ZO6 will lap better than a ZR1. Don’t get me wrong, the ZR1 is a high water mark for the Corvette, but I think the price is going to keep people away from it. That’s alot of green for a GM built car. For that kind of $$, I’ll take a used Porsche 911 Turbo or GT2/3. Obviously I don’t have that kind of scratch, but I know the Porsche would be top of my list if I did.

u are right, no doubt. i mean, the Z06 is an incredible platform to build on, if you want a complete monster at a reasonable (in-relative terms, of course) cost. i know guys are making incredible power with the cars. but for what i would want the car for, a stock Z would be more than enough car for me. id just want to keep it stock (for the most part) and worry about driving it to its full capabilites, as it sits. if i could somehow afford a ZR1 tho, of course that would just be a bonus and i would def choose that over the z06. but i totally see where u r comin from, bro. i realize my view on the 2 cars probably isnt what most of you guys would want to do.

Well if you ever drive a stock C6Z, its defiantly enough power to have fun with, and if I didn’t love the sound of a loud V8 and and the sound of a cam, I would keep it stock myself (and a nice set of forged wheels).

I remember the first C6Z that came in, I took it out for a nice spirited drive, and I scared the hell out of myself, whatever bend I threw that car into, it just wanted more and more, and that is what is so scary about these new cars, they are so quick and handle so good, you get over confident with them and bad things can happen.

And now i’m pretty upset, we wont even see the ZR1 at the dealership, we are shipping it directly from the dealer we bought it from to the guy I sold it to. :sadwavey:

^ that’s how it should be… nothing pisses me off more than a brand new car that a bunch of salesmen drove. I was adamant that I didn’t want my car beat on (or even driven) when it was delivered… I knew the night the truck dropped it off and was at the dealership in the AM for them to ‘unpack’ it… :jerkit:

i agree with you on that. i won’t spirit drive customer’s cars. i leave that up to them. i will call and ask if ok to drive it before taking it out. and usually just taking it up to speed and checking ot make sure it is ok. i don’t like it when someone drive my vehicles hard so i respect their car in return

my SRT-4 had 20 miles on it when i bought it… i can bet 18 of them were BEAT ON… i cant stand that shit…

Okay, just because I said I drove it makes you think I “beat on it”, spirited driving is not beating on it. I did not let the tires slip, I was easy on the clutch and brakes, just drove it. Plus I knew the guy who was buying it, it was my cousin, and I even told him before I took it. Trust me, my uncle (dealership owner) is very strict on driving new cars, especially the Vettes and Camaros.

thats what i did when my si came in i was there to see it taken off of the truck and the only person to drive it out of the lot was my one buddy that works there

when i took ownership it had less then 4 miles on it and over 2 miles was just to the gas station

nice

Is this the same Red ZR1 that is at Starlite every Friday night? Car is fucking nasty… I would do horrible things to own it.

buy 06 Z for 40K. Put 5K into heads/cam/LT’s.

$45K you have a Z that will run right with a ZR1.

Alternately…

Spend 7 or 8K putting a blower on the Z. then SMOKE the ZR1. I wouldn’t even want a ZR1. Would be too afraid to beat on it.

but then you loose the warranty and driveability with the z06 after you put the h/c in.

not to mention all the gawks from people… i mean c’mon… c6 z06… alright cool… c6 zr1 = OMGJIZZINMYPANTSRIGHTNOW!!!

all in all, if you buy/buying/bought a corvette, you are buying it more for just performance… i.e. mid-life crisis, small penis compensation, only way to pick up chicks, etc.

except for a certain jew i know, that keeps burnt rubber all over his quarter panels

Star Chev has a new Black Z06 w/chrome wheels (guessing 2010 because of new style wheel) sitting out front. It is so sexy. I’m not really into chrome wheels, but it looks great.

If you’re spending 110k just for the stares, maybe a Corvette isn’t the way to go. You could get a lot more attention in something a couple of years old from northern Italy or Stuttgart. There’s not a lot about the ZR1, visually, to differentiate it from the more ‘pedestrian’ Z56 that shows up everywhere. At least, to the casual viewer.

yea for 10k over sticker. douchebags tried to sell me a new camaro for 5k over sticker.

What the fuck are you talking about? First of all, warranties are for pussies. 2nd of all, what driveability are you going to lose?

Also, nobody is going to be able to tell the difference between a Z06 and a ZR1 except car geeks. Although if I ever get one I wont bring it around you unless you’re wearing plastic lined jeans. Fuck paying $40K more for a fucking factory installed blower.

holy shit are you serious? Anyone that would even pay full sticker for a Z is fucking retarded. There are 11ty billion people on the Vette forums selling their 6 month to 1yr old Z’s for like 20K under sticker with like 500 miles on them.

yea they have been doing that for years. a few years back, the 1st year the c6 Z’s came out they said they sold an orange one they had on the showroom floor for 20k over sticker. i guess a sucker is born everyday

you are adding over 150 rwhp (stock c6 z06’s typically dyno 440, the zr1 dynos 570… then you have to keep in account that the zr1 is 250 lbs lighter) to the z06 with heads and cam. If you think a cam that size is not going to have any cam surge, have a high rpm power band, won’t need steep gears, won’t have any driveability issues, you need to hang up your fuck stick corvette hat up and crash your car into a tree, and get back into dsm.

and if you are going for bang for your buck, yeah sorry, corvette was never on the top of the list if all you are comparing is straight line times.

and your ass will never own a zr1 because gm doesn’t offer an automatic transmission as an option