Anyone sold a car over the border before?

So i’m in the process of finalizing a sale of my car… the person who would be buying it is located in Ontario. Now he’s aware all everything he has to do with making it “legal” for canada etc, but the only thing I don’t understand is he keeps asking about a “trip permit”, i assume like our temp tags. NYS dmv site lists this:

Can I get a temporary registration to move a vehicle within NYS or to another state?

The NYSDMV does not issue temporary registrations. The DMV issues an in-transit permit (MV-639ITP) that you can use to move a vehicle from one location in NYS to another location to register it. An in-transit permit is a paper permit that you display in the rear window of the vehicle.
The DMV issues an in-transit permit only for a vehicle that you recently purchased or received. You cannot use an in-transit permit to replace a current registration, a registration that expired within the last year, or to extend a registration. Use the current registration or renew the registration if it expired within the last year.
You cannot renew an in-transit permit. You cannot get a second in-transit permit if the first in-transit permit for your vehicle expires.
There are two types of in-transit permit:

• Intrastate In-Transit Permit – The permit is valid for 30 days and allows you to transport a vehicle from one location in NYS to another location in NYS. For example, you need an intrastate in-transit permit if you buy a vehicle from a seller in another part of NYS and you need to transport the vehicle to your home before you register it. The fee is $10.

• Interstate In-Transit Permit – The permit is valid for 30 days and allows you to transport a vehicle from New York State to another jurisdiction to register it. For example, you need an interstate in-transit permit if you buy a vehicle in NYS, but you reside in another state or you move to another state, and you plan to register the vehicle in the other state. The fee is $10.

Important information for Massachusetts residents: Massachusetts (MA) does not recognize the NYS in-transit permit. According to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles, you can receive a ticket for no registration if you use an NYS in-transit permit in MA. This also makes the insurance on the vehicle not valid. MA authorities can impound the vehicle for no valid insurance. For more information, contact the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles.
    To apply for an intrastate or interstate in-transit vehicle permit you must provide:
    Proof of insurance. Normally, you must show a NYS Insurance ID Card as proof of insurance. If you use a form FS-75, FS-76 or FS-77 Insurance ID Card, you must show it to DMV within 7 days after it was prepared. This type of insurance ID card must have “in-transit” or “in-transit permit” printed or written on it, and you must provide an In-transit Cancellation Authorization form (this is not a DMV form) from the insurance agent or broker who prepared the card.
    If you are not a resident of NYS and you apply for an interstate in-transit permit, you can provide a letter or an insurance binder from an out-of-state insurance company, agent or broker instead of a NYS Insurance ID Card. The DMV cannot accept a letter or insurance binder for a resident of NYS.
    A letter must be on the company, agent or broker letterhead. The letter must contain all of the following information:

• the name and address of the agent, broker, or producer

• the name of the insurance company,

• the policy number and expiration date,

• the effective date of the policy,

• the name and address of the insured person,

• information about your vehicle that includes the VIN, make, and model.

If the document is an insurance binder, the “Automobile Liability” section in the center of the form must be completed and a box for “Any Auto”, “All Owned Autos” or “Scheduled Autos” must be checked.
    All insurance ID cards must be original documents. A letter or an insurance binder can be an original document or a fax sent to a DMV office by the insurer. Photocopies are not acceptable.
    Proof of Ownership: Read the information about proof of ownership. If you apply for an interstate in-transit permit, the DMV office returns the proof of ownership after it is examined. If you apply for an intrastate in-transit permit, the DMV office keeps the proof of ownership to issue a NYS title certificate.
    Proof of Identification: You must show your proof of identity and date of birth. If another person brings your application to the DMV office, that person must follow the requirements for a second party application.
    Sales Tax: If the applicant for an interstate permit is a NYS resident, the applicant must provide proof of sales tax payment or purchase price and pay any tax at the DMV office.
    Application Form: Complete form MV-82ITP (In-Transit Permit).
    Also required for intrastate in-transit permits only:

• Sales Tax — Proof of sales tax payment or purchase price to pay the tax at the DMV office.

• Title Certificate Fees — Pay the title certificate fee of $50.00, plus an additional $5.00 for each lienholder listed on the title certificate.

• Vehicle Registration — After you move the vehicle to the final location in NYS, apply for a registration at a DMV office. Use form MV-82. Pay the fees for the registration documents and vehicle plates. The DMV then issues your vehicle plates and registration documents to you.

So going by that, does HE apply for it, or do I ? He keeps saying that I have to, but I would assume he has to take care of it since he’s the one transporting the car?

nevermind, the sweet US dollar sucks so bad that i’d be losing $1500 :bloated:

Well that’s why you make him pay you in US currency. It’s his problem for trying to purchase something across the border, not yours. It shouldn’t have any added tasks on your part whatsoever.

Well yea, thats what I told him haha If it was a couple hundred bucks i honestly wouldn’t care, but thats too much $ to throw away!

I will give you one thousand five hundred American dollars for the vehicle.

trailer it. Uhaul maybe

trailer it…

i had one trailered and one i just stuck my plates on it and drive it through… Customs are no police officers, they dont give a shit about whether your car is registered to the plates or not… just pay the tax.

That would be the canadian dollar being worth less Jay… I think its down to about .84 cents on a us dollar.

Word, 1 USD is worth $1.15802 CAD

How could you be losing?

i would say fuck it have him pay in american currency and have him pick it up at your house…sign the title and than after that dance all the way to the bank or the stealership

yea my bad, its been a long day here at work… ugh

Because If the guy pays him 12500 canadian it onlys exchanges into 10500 american.
If the canadian dollar is worth 84 cents american that is.

yea Just Karter is right… i need to just go home and sleep for a while lmao

Did you look any further into this?

X…

nah, cause it wasn’t enough $ to make it worthwhile