Apple Server/Certified Geeks (Goose Step on In)

Ok, just got my new Mac Mini server running 10.8 Server. Problem is, I am the sux at OSX. I’m not totally helpless but not as good as I am with a Windows environment.

My objective: To manage all the Macs on campus. This would include remote software installs, pushing Software Updates, Remote Administration, etc.

What I have: Mac Mini running 10.8 with Apple Remote Desktop 3.6

What I need: Help or guidance on configuring the server, specifically the magic threesome triangle. Active Directory for Kerberos authentication and Open Directory for the Macs. Also, any training manuals, classes (local to buffalo preferably), online tutorials sites (paid or not) that can be used. Will even pay for consulting services pending you or someone you know is reputable enough to spend time with (even weekends).

Any help would be appreciated. Like I said I’m probably a novice when it comes to OSX and not very good at all with Unix/bash commands. Although We do have a linux guru on site I could consult with.

I did this with 10.5 a lot has changed…

You can probably find torrents for server essentials

We used Apple remote desktop and software from JAMF(I would link you but their website is down) pretty much PXE booting and such.

Hmm I’m guess 10.7 and 10.8 are pretty close. Except 10.8 worked immediately with LDAP, 10.7…not so much. That book looks pretty good, but from the table of contents seems like it would be in a all Mac environment. I’ll look more into this one though thanks!

I took the certification stuff for Apple Server/Troubleshooting which is based on that book series good stuff :tup:

If you need a hand let me know I might be able to help however I really just break stuff now.

I may be able to build this for you on a weekend. How many macs are you looking to add to it?

We only have maybe 50-60. Some joined to the domain, some not. Macs ranging from 10.3 to 10.7 I believe.

When you looking to do this? i may be able to walk you through it via IM and email if you know the domain basics.

I can stop out and yell encouraging comments

No real time line. None of us here are real Mac heads since 97% of our environment is Windows. My boss knows I’m poking around on the server.

I am a domain admin, so a majority of the stuff I have access too or know. Having issues ATM trying to get the Open Directory service to start.