ATTN: Mountain Bike Crew

Find me a new mountain bike STAT.

I used to be big on the scene back in like 98ish, and looking at my old Trek it’s time for a new one as I want to get back in.

I have plenty of shops around I can go in and test ride what they have or order one, but I want to go in knowing what to look for, what to expect, etc. so I don’t get sold a piece of crap because I didn’t know any better. Online research can only get me so far…

~500.

Thanks.

For $500 bucks or less you’re not getting a very serious bike. Go to Bert’s and talk about your options. I remember there being one for about $580 that was a pretty decent mountain bike.

Well I’m not looking for something too serious as there isn’t “intense” terrain here, mainly just trails etc.

Not going to be doing downhill & jumps that would need full suspension,etc.

I live in Virginia so I don’t know what Bert’s is…

Berts is terrible.:meh:

I have a hardtail Gary Fisher Marlin.

it gets the job done, i’m not really into mountain biking, but when I do go, I like my shit to stay together and that bike gets the job done.

Rule of thumb: If you want a full suspension bike, spend over $2k or else you will get junk

Negative, do not want/or need full suspension.

Go to your local bike store and see what they have. If you want a decent bike, get something with full Shimano XT components. I don’t think you will be able to find anything under a grand though.

I think cannondale makes a decent hard tail in the $500 range.

Though prices have probably gone up.

Check out “The Bike Shop” in Ellicottville, it’s right on the main drag, just before you get into the “town”. It’s on the righthand side of the road, if you are coming from like the 219. Dennis is the owner, super good guy, and will not bullshit you. I’ve bought alot of parts from him when he subleased space from Mud Sweat “n” Gears, always got awesome service, and good prices.

BTW: MSG does’nt sell bikes anymore, strictly ski/board gear. Kinda ironic to sport that name and not sell bikes huh?

^
Truth

You can also hit the Red Door on Main in Williamsville. Talk to Scott, and tell him John sent you in. He will take care of you… :gay:

I think you guys missed the part where he said he is in virginia.

You’re best off buying a good used bike, than a crappy new one. Buy it used, spend some time taking it apart, cleaning and lubing it, and it will be great.

Any recommendations on brand?

I have a Redline Monocog 29er and I love it. It runs about $500.

My friend and fellow member works at Berts on N.F. BLVD go in and ask for Jeff he will hook you up or PM him at SIO1 on the board.

Any of the big names really

Specialized
Trek(which I own a 6700)
Cannondale
Gary Fisher
Yeti
Santa Cruz
Giant
Kona

I went the used route and was really happy about it. I got a 6700 Trek, which would normally run about 8-900 new. The bike was in great shape and is a pretty beefy hardtail.

As stated I live in Virginia so that won’t work. Thanks for the help though.

I’ve got a trek 4900 hardtail, was about 500 new (previous year closeout), it’s survived everything I could throw at it so far… i’ve done about 20 trips on it (single-track) not to mention just using it on bike paths etc

Gonna head over to the store and check out what they have.

let us know what you find

http://www.mtbr.com/

all mountain bike reviews with a GOOD amount of content