Help: Shift Mountainbikers

So I’ve had the itch to get back into biking lately(raced bmx/dirt jumped for years), and wanted to dabble in mountain biking. Thing is, idk shit about them and have been out of that scene for some time now. Went to Plaines today, and fell in love with a full suspension, hydraulic brake specialized they had there, but the tag was $3699!! Fuckin things got expensive, and to my recollection specialized used to be kind of a Shitty bike manufacturer. Anyways, can you guys give me some advice as to a good bike, and price ranges. I’d really like to have full suspension, and disks, and it has to be a light setup as I want to throw it around a lot and jump it and such. Thanks for any advice

Yet another bump in the road of never finishing the 94

he just wants to ride it with no seat only the pole . oh and of course , i can ride a bike with no handlebars -no handlebars

Get fitted and buy used if you dont know for sure if you’re in it long term. I loved my Specialized mtb. Shopping for a road bike at the moment…

Specialized is a great brand however when it comes time to replace parts on them they tend to do some funky things with them and make them specific to the specialized brand and can be harder to come by plus tend to be pricier. Plus overall the brand itself is not cheap. I’m pretty into mountain biking so if you need someone to confer with or offer unbiased advice I’m willing to help.

I just have a shitty Gary Fisher. I jumped it over a pump house once, it was nearly a tragic event.

ah jeez adumb is the next lance armstrong

You’re basically looking for exactly what I am. I have my eye on the Schwinn Protocol 1.0. It’s not stupid expensive, and it’s not the same cheap Walmart crap.

Shift group ride coming soon?!?!

Why do you need disc brakes on a bicycle? Seriously theres no real point and regular bike brakes are like disc brakes anyway.

Would you suggest a different brand then? Idk if I really need the rear suspension and such, although it would be nice.

Exactly, I don’t want a used car lol, i want a bike!

Would be cool!

Braking power, I’m 205lbs, and going down some nasty terrain, u want assurance shit is gonna stop if need be. Traditional bike brakes get muddy/wet and the braking distance deteriorates FAST.

PJB has already looked into the braking system …

Hmm not a bad idea. They had a medium specialized on the floor, felt nice but I’d like to try out other sizes as well. He said keeping it smaller allows you to throw it around easier, but high speed isn’t as stable. Also gonna look into used…let someone else take the hit

The Trek ticket is a good $1000 cheaper, and seems to fit my needs a bit more(and wallet). Any pros cons with that bike??

So its still way over $2k?

Why not try to rent/borrow somebody else’s bike to see if its even something youre gonna like doing before spending Arab money on a bike?

Over $3000 I’d just buy a motorcycle.

Kona has really nice bikes and they start around $1000 and go up depening on the style and quality of parts.

My Dad has a very nice Trek, 3100 or something is the model. I was always a GT guy, but they are dead now.

this.

/thread

If you bend a rim with rim brakes they are useless, not so with discs

Disc pads last longer than rubber rim pads.

You can replace a rotor a lot cheaper than a rim when you wear out your braking surface.

Going through mud/dirt doesnt cause brake fade because your braking surface is contaminated.

Discs are pretty low maintenance as well.

94: Fit/comfort is going to be the name of the game. You will have a lot more fun on a bike that fits right than costs XXXX amount of dollars. Try as many as you can and even see if some shops are willing to demo bikes so you can get some real world time with then rather than a few laps around the parking lot. Full suspension is nice however you tend to get much better components on a similarly priced hardtail plus they tend to be lighter. Know the type of riding you want do do before buying as well. You dont want to end up with a 22lb Cross country bike if you plan to thrash it on rough technical terrain, and vice versa you dont want to be lugging around a 40lb sled if all you are doing is pedaling on mellow non bike taxing trails.

Here’s what I ride 90% of the time and gets me through just about any trail I find:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/skierdood/IMG_20110320_151427-2.jpg

It’s a full suspension “all mountain” type bike with 5 inches of travel front and rear that weighs in at about 30lbs. It pretty much will take you anywhere short of full on downhilling because I’m not loaded and need to get away with a one or two bike stable. Ran me about $1500 on closeout 3 years ago.