Automatics and car enthusiasts...

the new GT-R’s twin-clutch sequential semi-auto is made by Borg Warner, the same company that licensed DSG to VW

supposedly a v-spec version will have a conventional manual… who knows.

three pedals might be funner than two but it’s definitely not the fastest way around the track anymore

I’ve heard the same thing - i’ll be saving the $ in hopes.

After all, I can shift in 1.2 milliseconds.

My 240 is manual because its more fun, and auto trannies from 1993 weight a bajilion pounds.

My Ranger is auto becuase it can haul heavier loads.

Meh. Some days I miss an M6, some days I prefer the A4 in my car. I got some whiney bitches I worked with a while ago that didn’t like it, mainly because they were apparently “slower”. Then they tried to convince me that in racing they use exclusively stick-shift. Then finally they tried to throw the reliability card at me.

First, they’re not slower. My A4 Trans Am is just as fast (probably faster) than my M6 Z28 was. If the gearing of your auto is horrible, than thats the problem, not the basic design of the transmission. Where a manual would get an upgraded clutch, an auto needs a high stall torque converter, which will give consistent and fast launches. I’d estimate 90% or better (I’m probably being extremely generous to the Manual guys) of the F-bodies running less than 9s are autos, and to say they’re not car enthusiasts…yeah. Also, chances are that you’re not a superstar driver. One of the guys that gave me a hard time about me being a “noob” for getting an auto wanted to race my 6 speed before I sold it, and I ended up slaughtering him pretty much.

Of course, professional racing cars don’t only use autos OR manuals, they often go with a sequential transmission. Drag cars often use autos, nascar uses manuals, F1 uses sequentials, etc. So bringing in posters of your fav. driver and saying that they use transmission type x doesn’t mean much.

Lastly, reliability comes down to the build quality. If you’re putting too much power through the transmission, its going to break no matter what.

In the end, to each his own. If someone wants an auto, cool, if they want a manual, thats cool too.

if i ever own an American car, which will most certainly be a muscle car of some description, i would be fine with it auto, but it’d be modified for manual shift with the t handle hurst ratcheting shifter and be used for drag/crusin haha.

regular auto is also fine for daylies

but i’d never have an auto as my fun timies in the corners mobile

I drove an automatic to get groceries last night. Fuck it was gay. The only decent thing about it, the car had steering wheel audio controls, so it gave me something to do in the meantime. All speed concerns aside, it’s freakin lame. The biggest problem is on the street. You can use the track and speed justifications all you want, but on the street, auto doesn’t feel like driving. When I first got my licence, I drove an auto, and I hated driving, didn’t care for cars, etc… My friend was always driving my car, because I preferred just chilling in the passenger seat. Then the lease on it ran out, and my dad suggested I should get my own car, and since we’re Euros, he said that I’m not a real man if I don’t get a manual. So I picked up a 1987 Celica, and had the most fun ever, I started driving for the sake of driving, and that’s how I developed my love for cars.

i drive an automatic vehicle :\ but it has tiptronic…guess it isn’t the same as manual, but i am still a enthusiast…honest.
you are talking about g35drivers right?

Yarr… IMO, huge bunch of pussies, made me lose a ton of respect for the car. Next vehicle I will evaluate like so:
I test drive, if I like how it drives, I find a major forum, and post “Thinking of getting car in automatic”. If I’m not banned, or flamed horribly, car is not being bought :smiley:
And all the responses were really gay like “You’re just mad he can smoke your 6MT”
Yes, because everyone is clearly a faggot-ass street racer, and bought their car to race others at lights, rather than enjoy driving it.

It’s personal preference I suppose but if you buy a sports car with an non-paddle shift auto that means one of two things. You can’t drive or you should have bought a Kia. I don’t like the flippy-floppy shifters but its a decent compromise if you have a wife or something that cant drive standard.

No it’s not. Teach the bitch to drive stick.

My ex-GF drove auto when she first got her license, but her first car was an MT, I had to teach her. She loves it now, she bought a brand new Cobalt shrugs… But she insisted on getting MT, because she prefers it now. Hooray for converting another one.

Hell, my 35’ cube van I drive for work is auto, and it’s boring. I get in push the pedal and stare ahead… I’ve stabbed for the clutch in a panic stop, and sometimes find myself reaching to downshift when I slow down, and I haven’t even driven my car in 5 months… Auto has it’s place, but I certainly prefer manual.

I know a lot of girls who can barely drive an auto. Even if then knew how to drive stick I wouldn’t let them touch my car.

I like stick , because al the people i dont trust with my car wont drive stick

It’s not a matter of knowing or not knowing stick. No girl would ever touch a car that isn’t my beater, simple as that. They can buy their own damn car :stuck_out_tongue: Even when I get married, bitch aint touching my whip.

Well ya that to… lol … way to stick up for your car…

My wife has never touched any of my cars. Why? They don’t ride as comfy as her corolla. :slight_smile: Ah well, I like them lowered.

I don’t mind auto, especially for cruisers. I’m going to mod my TCM on the I30 to control the shifts. Since it is a 4 speed, there are only 2 solenoids to control. It will allow me to hold the car in gear for the dyno’s, and I’ll have faster shifts at the track. Basically, i flip a switch to change gears. When I get really serious, I can use an MSD window switch to preset the RPM and away I go.

However, for a road course car, I need something with more gears that I can manually control. Clutch pedal or not, I don’t care. SMG or notch-box shifter doesn’t matter to me. I want to move as fast as I can. Whatever works is what I use.

manual is better for everything even long drives… usually in long drives u drive in places u do not noe… therefore if their is a sharp turn or an unusal manuever required u could do it because as every1 else has said with a manual u have more control

What?

I thought the exact same thing.

delete

Oh I deciphered it, it just sounded stupid.