Avi files on a 360?

Anyway to play avi movie files off a portable hard drive on a 360?
The songs work fine but it says that it does not support the format or something like that for movies.

My xbox is not hacked and has all the updates.

Im not 100% sure on this, but most blu-ray rips i see that claim to be 360 compatible are almost always WMV.

avi on 360

hooking up an external to your 360

I already stated that the hard drive is working with the 360 when I am playing music. So I don’t think I need to format it.

And yes I did a quick google search before posting here “playing divx files 360” and most were blocked at work and the others were not informative or definite.

to play avi files on 360 you have to download a plug-in. i forgot exactly what it says but there is a download option when that error comes up

I downloaded the plug in after the error but they still didn’t work.

Do you need to restart the system or is there more too it?

i dont think so but i did find that every time i wanted to watch an avi file i had to be online in order to. there were also a few times where an avi file would not play on it for some reason, maybe format was different?

I play avi’s through my 360, but stream them from my computer with azureus, so I can’t really help. Maybe change your setup to stream from a pc if you can’t get it to work.

I used to do this with my 360 before I bought a Popcorn Hour for streaming. The 360 is very limited when it comes to video formats and won’t even play a lot of Divx stuff even after installing the divx codec. So chances are you just have a format it won’t support. If it was the supported divx codec it would just prompt you to automatically install the update if the update hadn’t been installed yet.

Cliffs: If you want to play movies files on your TV get a real media streamer.