b13 se-r

Looking to pick one of these up. Looked at it today and everything checked out according to my standards.

Just wanna know what types of things I should be aware of? typical problems, maintenance, longevity? its got an sr20de so im assuming its a good reliable motor that can handle some abuse.

Anything come to mind that I should know?

Check rust on the rear fenders and on the rockers underneath the doors. Check on if there was signifigant rust on the door pillars (by the hinges). Surface rust is o.k in this area.

Don’t worry about door sag. If you want to fix the door sag place a washer between the lower door mount and the unibody. You will have to loosen all four bolts and use a floor jack to align the door back again. Don’t be afraid to put a lot of weight on it when aligning (i.e. you will start to raise the car slightly).

The engines are great as far as realiablility. I have one SE-R with 236k on it and it still pulls good*. Check the oil pan for dents and don’t drive it if it has any. I bought a G20 with a spun bearing and saw the dent and knew that caused oil starvation. I also forgot to check the oil before an auto-X and spun a bearing a few years ago.

They all come with Viscous LSD, not the best thing in the world but helps a little. The trannies have a weak third if you were ever to push more than 300 whp. And 5th gear pops out of some, there is a kit to fix this problem, but includes a tranny rebuild.

That’s about it for the basics.

*although it mysteriously threw a rod @ 240k and torched the car, pics to follow this weekend…

the car is virtually rust free, very clean, saw a little bit near door hinges but it was just some surface rust. door didnt seem like it was sagging but im not worried about it. ill check for oil pan dents next time i check it out.

Im not really worried about that tho, hes a co-worker of mine and he has been daily driving it for the past 50k miles with a bunch of auto-x as well. If it was a problem, im sure it would have shown by now. BUT, i will check it nonetheless.

lol @ fine print

Jacob Massey?

nope

but i know he is on here lurking

Then it’s someone that hasn’t auto-Xed in WNY in the last 4 years.

Unless it’s Mark…

But my deffinition of a “bunch” greatly differs than others…

my b-14 se which has the sr20de only has 110k on it but still runs as well as it ever has, I have not had a problem with it yet

tis Marc

Sounds nice. Clean B13 SE-R’s are getting harder and harder to come by. I would imagine they’re at the collectible stage where a clean one is no longer depreciating. Granted, still only worth maybe 3-4k if it’s mint, but better than still dropping.

The only thing I can even think to add might be to listen for any timing chain noise. Although even then the early ones came with an upper guide rail that did nothing but add noise and most guys removed.

fairgentlemanz did your stock timing components last to 200k+?

Oh and +1 for looking for 5th gear popout.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:9,topic:27087"”]

fairgentlemanz did your stock timing components last to 200k+?

[/quote]

Valve cover was NEVER removed.

[quote=“fairgentleman Z,post:10,topic:27087"”]

Valve cover was NEVER removed.

[/quote]

Wow.

And the successor to that was the QR25? :bloated: Progress what?

GL swap will be hott!

What swap?

whoops miss read thought it was gettin a sr20deT

No but that’s a great idea! :slight_smile:

no, it’s an o.k. idea, this is a great idea…

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=181730&highlight=vq35

pics are no longer hosted…

Instinct tells me that that would totally fuck up the car’s weight distribution. Is a VQ much heavier than an SR20?

60lbs, so no.

Less effect than running a full tank of gas vs. and empty tank.

Wow, then yeah outstanding idea!

lol. that swap DOES look sick.

before it did that i would just boost the stock motor. im all about saving some money